Absolute Magnitude Calculation, How?

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing an H-R Diagram for a physics class. The person is looking for guidance in regards to using B and V values for apparent magnitudes without knowing the distance to the star cluster. The conversation suggests using a worksheet or other resources for creating the diagram and concludes with the suggestion to use apparent magnitude since the distance to the observed stars can be considered the same.
capcom
Hello everyone,

Glad to be a new member of this superb forum :)

In one of my physics classes, I have to construct an H-R Diagram. Now, this does not seems too challenging, and I'm sure it isn't.

I was wondering if someone could kindly guide me in the right direction without giving me an exact answer.

So basically, I have been given some info about a star cluster. I have been given measurements taken through blue and yellow filters and told that the top of the main sequence is at B-V = 0.50 and V = 23.48 and bottom at B - V = 2.74 and V = 23.08.

You see, the B and V values are apparent magnitudes. The way I understand HR diagrams, they require absolute magnitudes. I haven't been given any distances to the star cluster, so how can I find an absolute magnitude? The only info I have been given with regards to its location is that it is in the dir'n of a dust cloud in the milky way.

So any recommendations as to how I should approach this. Thanks a lot everyone :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

Actually, it turns out you can use apparent magnitude if the distance of the observed stars is the same.

We can consider the distance to be the same for a star cluster, so there we go - we can use the apparent magnitude.

Thanks again!

FAQ: Absolute Magnitude Calculation, How?

1. What is absolute magnitude and why is it important in astronomy?

Absolute magnitude is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of a celestial object, unaffected by its distance from Earth. It is important in astronomy because it allows us to compare the true brightness of different objects, regardless of their distance.

2. How is absolute magnitude calculated?

Absolute magnitude is calculated using the apparent magnitude (the brightness of an object as seen from Earth) and the distance to the object. The formula is: Absolute Magnitude = Apparent Magnitude - 5 * log(distance in parsecs).

3. Can absolute magnitude change over time?

Yes, absolute magnitude can change over time. This can happen due to changes in the distance of the object, changes in its luminosity, or changes in its physical properties.

4. How is absolute magnitude different from apparent magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears from Earth, while absolute magnitude is a measure of its true intrinsic brightness. Apparent magnitude is affected by the distance of the object, while absolute magnitude is not.

5. What are the applications of absolute magnitude in astronomy?

Absolute magnitude is used to classify and compare the true brightness of different celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and quasars. It also helps in determining the distance of objects in space and in studying the evolution and properties of these objects.