Absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster

In summary, the absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster is the total pressure of the air inside the baster, including atmospheric pressure. It is important to know this pressure for controlling the flow of liquid and creating suction. It can be measured using a pressure gauge or calculated by adding atmospheric pressure to the gauge pressure. Factors such as volume, temperature, and altitude can affect the absolute pressure, which can be controlled by adjusting the amount of air inside the baster and monitoring with a pressure gauge.
phosgene

Homework Statement

A meat baster consists of a flexible bulb attached to a plastic tube as shown in the diagram. When the open end of the tube is immersed in the basting sauce and the bulb is squeezed then released, sauce rises in the tube so that it can be squirted over the meat. Suppose sauce rises in the tube to a height h of 0.12m. Assume that the density of the sauce is 1050 kg/m^3

(c) Calculate the absolute pressure of the air in the bulb when atmospheric pressure is 1.010 x 10^5 Pa

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation to calculate pressure difference between bottom and top points of the height the sauce rises.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the pressure difference betewen the start and end point of the measured height:

P = pg(y2 - y1)
P = (1050 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.12 m)
P = 100.8 Pa

I'm not really sure how to answer the question, but here's my attempt:

If the sauce isn't rising anymore, then the forces acting on it should be in equilibrium, cancelling each other out. The liquid's force will be directed downward, out of the baster, the atmospheric force will be directed upward, into the baster, and the force of the air inside the baster will be directed downward (pushing the sauce out of the baster). So the atmospheric pressure should be the same magnitude as the other two pressures.

If I do the calculation, I get the absolute pressure of the air in the bulb being 1.010 x 10^5 Pa - 100.8 Pa

But I'm not really sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
phosgene said:

Homework Statement

A meat baster consists of a flexible bulb attached to a plastic tube as shown in the diagram. When the open end of the tube is immersed in the basting sauce and the bulb is squeezed then released, sauce rises in the tube so that it can be squirted over the meat. Suppose sauce rises in the tube to a height h of 0.12m. Assume that the density of the sauce is 1050 kg/m^3

(c) Calculate the absolute pressure of the air in the bulb when atmospheric pressure is 1.010 x 10^5 Pa

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation to calculate pressure difference between bottom and top points of the height the sauce rises.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the pressure difference betewen the start and end point of the measured height:

P = pg(y2 - y1)
P = 100.8 Pa
You'll want to recheck that calculation.
I'm not really sure how to answer the question, but here's my attempt:

If the sauce isn't rising anymore, then the forces acting on it should be in equilibrium, cancelling each other out. The liquid's force will be directed downward, out of the baster, the atmospheric force will be directed upward, into the baster, and the force of the air inside the baster will be directed downward (pushing the sauce out of the baster). So the atmospheric pressure should be the same magnitude as the other two pressures.

If I do the calculation, I get the absolute pressure of the air in the bulb being 1.010 x 10^5 Pa - 100.8 Pa

But I'm not really sure.
It would appear that your logic is okay, it's just your value for the pressure due to the column of liquid that is suspect.

phosgene, welcome to Physics Forums.

Your method is correct. Since as you said you are calculating a pressure difference, the air pressure in the baster differs from atmospheric pressure by the amount you calculate, and in fact is less than atmospheric in order to draw the liquid upward into the tube.

The only problem I see is that you probably should redo this calculation:
It seems to me there is an arithmetic error in what you did.

EDIT: gneill beat me to it.

You're both right, I messed up the calculation. I did it again and got 1234.8 Pa. Thanks for the replies :)

You're welcome.

By the way, when I looked at the numbers, it was apparent that the "9.8" and "0.12" sort of cancel each other out, leaving a result that must be around 1000. It's nice when you can check computations in this way and catch those errors (which we all make from time to time).

Related to Absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster

What is absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster?

The absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster refers to the total pressure of the air inside the baster, including atmospheric pressure. It is measured in units of pressure such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

Why is it important to know the absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster?

Knowing the absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to determine the amount of air that can be expelled from the baster and the force with which it will be expelled. This is important for controlling the flow of liquid or marinade from the baster. Additionally, knowing the absolute pressure can also help to determine the amount of suction that can be created when drawing liquids into the baster.

How is the absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster measured?

The absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster can be measured using a pressure gauge or a manometer. These devices can provide a direct reading of the pressure in units of psi or Pa. Alternatively, the absolute pressure can also be calculated by adding the atmospheric pressure (usually around 14.7 psi at sea level) to the gauge pressure (pressure above atmospheric pressure) measured by the baster.

What factors can affect the absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster?

The absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster can be affected by a number of factors. These include the volume of air inside the baster, the temperature of the air, and the altitude at which the baster is being used. Changes in any of these factors can cause fluctuations in the absolute pressure of air inside the baster.

How can the absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster be controlled?

The absolute pressure of air inside a meat baster can be controlled by adjusting the amount of air inside the baster. This can be done by squeezing the bulb of the baster to expel air or by releasing the bulb to allow air to enter. Additionally, using a pressure gauge or manometer can help to monitor and adjust the absolute pressure of air inside the baster as needed.