Absolute Value Inequalities: Solving for x

In summary, the conversation is about finding the next step to get rid of the absolute value. The person has tried using its property but is unsure if it is correct. They also mention that their advice may not be correct and that they are not thinking clearly. The conversation also includes a question about whether or not this is a homework question. The conversation ends with a discussion about solving for x values.
jenrespect
Please help me. What is the next step to get rid of the absolute value?

uploadfromtaptalk1444438526887.jpg

I tried using its property but I don't know if its correct.

uploadfromtaptalk1444438588314.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
*REDACTED*

I'm not sure my advise is right. Not thinking super straight today. XD

jenrespect said:
Please help me. What is the next step to get rid of the absolute value?

View attachment 89957

I tried using its property but I don't know if its correct.

View attachment 89958
Is this a homework question? Homework questions need to be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections.

Matterwave said:
*REDACTED*

I'm not sure my advise is right. Not thinking super straight today. XD

If the last image were correct, you could just solve it with the nominator equivalent to zero, and even if it weren't, you could still multiply through by the denominator leaving the nominator less than or equal to 0, right? Assuming what I said is correct, then it shouldn't be too difficult to find the x values.

Related to Absolute Value Inequalities: Solving for x

What is absolute value inequality?

Absolute value inequality is a mathematical expression that compares the absolute value of two numbers using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is used to show the relationship between two numbers or expressions, indicating which one is larger or smaller.

How do you solve absolute value inequalities?

To solve absolute value inequalities, you must first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, remove the absolute value bars by creating two separate equations without the bars, one using a positive sign and one using a negative sign. Solve each equation separately and determine the solutions that satisfy the original inequality.

How is absolute value inequality used in real life?

Absolute value inequality is used in real life situations, such as in finance, to determine the range of values that a variable can take on. It is also used in physics to calculate the magnitude of a vector, and in statistics to measure the deviation from the mean.

What are some common mistakes when solving absolute value inequalities?

One common mistake when solving absolute value inequalities is forgetting to create two separate equations when removing the absolute value bars. Another mistake is incorrectly flipping the inequality symbol when dividing by a negative number in the process of isolating the absolute value expression.

Is there a difference between absolute value and absolute value inequality?

Yes, there is a difference between absolute value and absolute value inequality. Absolute value refers to the distance of a number from zero on a number line, while absolute value inequality compares the absolute values of two numbers or expressions to show their relationship.