Absolute Value with two expressions.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding valid roots for a piecewise function and sketching the area between two given points. The suggested method is to check the root of each piece and connect the end points of the middle piece with a line segment. The only valid root found was at x=1.
stuart4512
How do I do this? I have tried a few methods and end up getting x values that don't work when placed back into the equation.

View attachment 3670

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 57
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would write the expression as a piecewise function:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\begin{cases}-3x-5, & x<-1 \\[3pt] x-1, & -1\le x\le2 \\[3pt] 3x-5, & 2<x \\ \end{cases}\)

Can you proceed?

edit: I have moved this thread here from our Linear Algebra subforum, as this is a better fit. :D

I got the only solution to be at x=1.
How do I sketch the area between -1 and 2?

stuart4512 said:
I got the only solution to be at x=1.
How do I sketch the area between -1 and 2?

You should find 2 valid roots. Check the root of each piece, and if it is in the given domain for that piece, then it is a valid root.

As for the middle piece, just compute the end points, and connect them with a line segment.

\(\displaystyle f(-1)=-2\)

\(\displaystyle f(2)=1\)

So, plot the points $(-1,-2),\,(2,1)$ and connect them.

I understand your frustration with trying to solve absolute value equations. It can be a tricky concept to grasp, but with the right approach, it can be solved accurately.

Firstly, it is important to understand that absolute value represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. This means that no matter what number is inside the absolute value bars, the result will always be a positive value.

To solve an absolute value equation with two expressions, you can follow these steps:

1. Rewrite the equation as two separate equations, one with the positive expression and one with the negative expression inside the absolute value bars.

2. Solve each equation separately by isolating the variable on one side of the equation.

3. Check both solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. If they both work, then you have found the correct solutions.

If you are still getting incorrect values for x, it is possible that there may be an error in your calculations. I would suggest double-checking your work and using a calculator if needed.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind any restrictions on the variable that may exist in the original equation. These restrictions can affect the validity of your solutions.

In conclusion, solving absolute value equations with two expressions requires breaking it down into simpler equations and carefully checking your solutions. With practice and attention to detail, you can successfully solve these types of equations.

Related to Absolute Value with two expressions.

1. What is absolute value with two expressions?

Absolute value with two expressions is a mathematical concept that represents the distance between two numbers on a number line. It is denoted by two vertical bars surrounding the expressions and always results in a positive value.

2. How do you calculate absolute value with two expressions?

To calculate absolute value with two expressions, you first find the difference between the two expressions. Then, take the absolute value of that difference by removing any negative signs. The resulting value will always be positive.

3. What are the properties of absolute value with two expressions?

The main properties of absolute value with two expressions are:

• It always results in a positive value.
  • The absolute value of a sum is equal to the sum of the absolute values.
  • The absolute value of a product is equal to the product of the absolute values.
  • The absolute value of a quotient is equal to the quotient of the absolute values.

4. What are some real-life applications of absolute value with two expressions?

Absolute value with two expressions is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate distance, displacement, and error. It is also used in financial planning to calculate the difference between actual and projected values.

5. Can absolute value with two expressions be negative?

No, absolute value with two expressions always results in a positive value. The notation of two vertical bars around the expressions indicates that the result will be positive, regardless of the sign of the expressions.