Absorption Of γ - Radiation in Lead/Absorption coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses using equation (3) and the slope of a graph to estimate the absorption coefficient (µ) of γ-radiation in lead. The formula used for analysis are I = I0e^-μd, C(d) = C0e^-μd, and lnC = lnC0 - μd. The values of d (thickness of lead sheets) and count per minute were recorded, and a graph was plotted with lnC vs d(m). The resulting equation for the line was y = -0.0116x + 0.0886, with a slope of μ≈ -0.0116. The conversation also mentions difficulties in using the equations and solving for µ,
Hypro96
EXPERIMENT ABSORPTION OF γ - RADIATION IN LEAD AND CALCULATION OF ABSORPTION COEFFICIENT µ

Using equation (3) / slope of graph lnC vs d - estimate µ. This should be in units of per meter (m-1 ).

The formula in the analysis are as follows :
1. I = I0 e-μd

2. C(d) = C0 e-μd

3. lnC = lnC0 -μd
You may ignore the decimal point at the RANGE=10 setting on the scaler/timer ! so the count then turns out to be whole numbers .

Data (where d is the thickness of the lead sheets):
  • d(m) = 0.0121 ,0.0063 ,0.0025 ,0.0184 ,0.0146 ,0.008
  • Count/min = 636 ,1050 ,1474 ,424 ,454 ,700
  • C (counts/min) - background count = 28
  • Find ln C
For the graph i subbed in the values of C to lnC and plotted it vs d(m) ,the result i got as for the line eq. was
y = -0.0116x +0.0886 in excell with the tread line . I hope the axis were right :P .
So μ≈ -0.0116

Using the equation was hard for me as I'm not sure which component is which , i feel like what I am doing is awfully wrong. I tried to work out μ by subbing in values from the table to C(d) and C0 equation 2 i did the same for the 3 equation and tried to solve with rules of logs , taking C0 as background count of 28 .

I would appreciate any explanation so i can do the calculation and see what happens .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So =

d (m) = 0.0025, 0.0063 , 0.0089 , 0.0121 , 0.0146 ,0.0184
count/min= 1.474, 1.050 , 0.700 , 0.636, 0.454, 0.424
C (counts/min) - backgnd count = 1.446 , 1.022 , 0.672 ,0.608 , 0.426 , 0.396 ( that is subtracting 0.028 from the counts )
ln C = 0.3688 , 0.02176 ,-0.3975 ,-0.4976 ,-0.8533 ,-0.9263 ( that is subbing in C backgnd for C )

graph yields : y = -0.0109x + 0.0065 hence μ = -0.0109

i tired to solve the c(d) in equation 2 with the info we have + the mu from graph .
I thought it should give me back the value from before we subtracted the backend (C counts/min) but i didnt so i swapped around the values and changed the mu and its like we never get back any value but get a new one that's close to what we sub in for C0

basically when i tried to solve μ from equation 3 eg. (ln1.474 / 0.3688) / 0.0025 = 420.8 m-1 which is wrong

Related to Absorption Of γ - Radiation in Lead/Absorption coefficient

1. What is γ - radiation?

γ - radiation, also known as gamma radiation, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has high energy and short wavelengths. It is emitted by the nucleus of an atom and is often used in medical imaging and radiation therapy.

2. How does lead absorb γ - radiation?

Lead is a dense and heavy metal, which makes it very effective at absorbing γ - radiation. This is because the high energy photons of the γ - radiation interact with the electrons in lead, causing them to slow down and lose energy. This reduces the intensity of the radiation and makes it less harmful.

3. What is the absorption coefficient for lead?

The absorption coefficient for lead varies depending on the energy of the γ - radiation. However, on average, lead has an absorption coefficient of 0.15 cm-1 for γ - radiation with an energy of 1 MeV (mega-electron volts). This means that for every centimeter of lead, the intensity of the radiation will decrease by 15%.

4. How does the thickness of lead affect its ability to absorb γ - radiation?

The thickness of lead directly affects its ability to absorb γ - radiation. The more lead material there is, the more interactions between the radiation and the electrons will occur, resulting in a greater decrease in intensity. Therefore, the thicker the lead barrier, the more effective it will be at absorbing γ - radiation.

5. What are some other materials that can absorb γ - radiation?

In addition to lead, other materials that are commonly used to absorb γ - radiation include concrete, steel, and water. These materials also have dense atomic structures that allow them to effectively slow down and absorb the high energy photons of γ - radiation.