Abstract Algebra - Smallest subgroup of GL(n,R)

In summary, the smallest subgroup G of GL(n,R) that contains A and B can be defined as the set {I, A, B} under matrix multiplication. Similarly, the smallest subgroup H of G that contains the matrices AB and BA can be defined as the set {I, AB, BA} under matrix multiplication. These subgroups satisfy the necessary properties of closure, inverses, identity, and homomorphism.
Chinnu

Homework Statement

Let A = [itex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/itex]

Let B = [itex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/itex]

Find the smallest subgroup G of GL(n,R) that contains [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. Also, find the smallest subgroup H of G that contains the matrices AB and BA.

Homework Equations

GL(n,R) is the group of all n x n invertible matrices

Homomorphism:

[itex]f(a*b) = f(a) * f(b)[/itex] for some operation [itex]*[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a hint to start (don't solve the whole thing, please just help me start it).

So far, I can see that [itex]A=[/itex][itex]A^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]B=[/itex][itex]B^{-1}[/itex]

Also, for the second part [itex]AB\neq BA[/itex] since [itex]AB=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/itex] and [itex]BA=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/itex], also, [itex]\left(AB\right)^{-1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right]=BA[/itex], and, [itex]\left(BA\right)^{-1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right]=AB[/itex]

To show that something is a subgroup, I need to show that it is closed under the operation (matrix multiplication in the second part), inverses, contains the identity element, and has the homomorphism property

Can I define an operation that just gives the inverse of the matrix? (meaning I think the set {I, A, B} under that operation would be the smallest subgroup), and a similar group can be taken for the second part, just having it contain {I, AB, BA}.

Or, would the following work: The set {I, A, B, AB, BA} under matrix multiplication?
with this:
For any two elements, say [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] of the set, [itex]X*Y[/itex] is in the set as well (given what I've shown above).

[itex]A*(B*BA)=(A*B)*BA[/itex], and this seems to work for all such combinations, so associativity holds.

Inverses hold given what I've shown above, and the identity is there by definition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the above works, but I'm still not sure if this is the smallest subgroup that contains A and B.

Related to Abstract Algebra - Smallest subgroup of GL(n,R)

1. What is the definition of a subgroup in abstract algebra?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. In other words, the elements of a subgroup must satisfy the group axioms of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How is the smallest subgroup of GL(n,R) determined?

The smallest subgroup of GL(n,R) is the identity element, which is a subgroup of any group. This is because the identity element always satisfies the group axioms, and any other subgroup must contain at least the identity element.

3. Can the smallest subgroup of GL(n,R) be different for different values of n?

Yes, the smallest subgroup of GL(n,R) can vary depending on the value of n. For example, the smallest subgroup of GL(2,R) is the identity element, while the smallest subgroup of GL(3,R) is the set of all 3x3 identity matrices.

4. What is the significance of the smallest subgroup in abstract algebra?

The smallest subgroup in abstract algebra is important because it serves as the foundation for building larger subgroups and the entire group itself. It also helps to determine the structure and properties of the group, as well as what operations and elements are necessary for the group to function.

5. How does the smallest subgroup of GL(n,R) relate to linear algebra?

In linear algebra, GL(n,R) represents the general linear group of invertible n x n matrices over the real numbers. The smallest subgroup of GL(n,R) is the identity matrix, which is the basis for all other invertible matrices. This relationship is important in understanding the structure of linear transformations and their properties.