Abstract Algebra: Solving Stumping Questions | αη = β and G is Abelian

In summary, abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. A group is considered Abelian if its elements commute, meaning the order of operations does not matter. Solving stumping questions in abstract algebra involves applying definitions and properties of algebraic structures in creative ways. In abstract algebra, the equation αη = β represents a relationship between elements α and η resulting in β. Abstract algebra is important in scientific research for its use in modeling and solving complex problems and developing critical thinking skills.
m-chan
I have 2 algebra questions which are stumping me, I just can't seem to use my notes to figure them out!

1. Let α, β ∈ S17 where α = (17 2)(1 2 15 17 ), β = (2 3 16)(6 16 17 ).
Determine η, as a product of disjoint cycles, where αη = β.

2. Let G be a group in which a^2 = 1 for all a ∈ G. Prove that G is Abelian.
Hint: Consider (ab)^2.

HELP PLEASE :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, I've figured out 2, thanks Mark44 and I've done some of 1, but I'm stuck at the end of the question.

I have η= (2 17)(17 15 2 1)(2 3 16)(6 16 17), but I'm not sure if that's right though. I also don't know where to go from there.

Related to Abstract Algebra: Solving Stumping Questions | αη = β and G is Abelian

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on studying the properties of these structures and their relationships, rather than specific numerical values.

2. What does it mean for a group to be Abelian?

A group is considered Abelian if its elements commute, meaning the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result. In other words, if α and β are elements of the group G, then αβ = βα.

3. How do you solve stumping questions in abstract algebra?

Solving stumping questions in abstract algebra involves understanding the definitions and properties of algebraic structures, and then applying them to solve the given problem. It often requires creative thinking and an understanding of how different concepts relate to each other.

4. What does the equation αη = β mean in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, the equation αη = β means that the elements α and η are related in some way and their product results in the element β. This relationship could be an operation, such as multiplication, or it could represent a different type of relationship, such as isomorphism.

5. Why is abstract algebra important in scientific research?

Abstract algebra is important in scientific research because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex mathematical structures. It is used in many branches of science, including physics, computer science, and cryptography, to model and solve complex problems. It also helps scientists to think abstractly and develop critical thinking skills.