AC Circuit Analysis (Nodal RMS)

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Vrms and Irms vs. Vpeak and Ipeak in solving a circuit using nodal analysis. It was noted that both approaches can yield similar results as long as the values are "reverted" to rms when necessary. It was also mentioned that using phasors can simplify the calculation process. The conversation concluded with the acknowledgement that solving systems of linear equations with complex values can be tedious.
planauts

Homework Statement

The question is:
wlpXm.png

The given answer is:
kbFkP.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already got the "correct" answers.
n1X9Z.png
My question is, I used Vrms voltage and Irms current to solve the nodal analysis. Would it be incorrect to use Vpeak and Ipeam to solve the circuit. Would it yield a similar result? I mean, would I be able to divide Va(peak) by sqrt(2) and get Va(rms)?

I understand that the author's intent was to use Vrms and Irms since the second part of the question requires to calculate Power, which is usually done using RMS values to avoid dividing by 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you can use peak or average or any other scaled version of the voltages and currents so long as you "revert" to rms when required (such as determining average power). This works so long as all the sources are sinusoidal and the circuit is linear.

Yes, V =√2Vrms for all your voltages so either way you'd get the right answers.

In general, the phasor for V0sin(ωt + θ) is [V0/√2]e.

The reason why I asked this question was when I originally did the question with V_max, it did not match the given answers (even after dividing by sqrt(2) to the given rms). I knew it did not make since I was just multiplying all the currents by a factor. When I did the question again using V_max, it turned out that I had originally made a mistake some where. Math makes sense and the universe is in order!
The algebra gets tedious when solving systems of linear equation with complex values.

Thank you both for the confirmation.

However, in theory, using Vpeak and Ipeak should also yield the same results as long as the peak values are converted to RMS values before calculating power.

In general, it is not incorrect to use Vpeak and Ipeak to solve a circuit using nodal analysis. However, it is important to note that converting peak values to RMS values before calculating power is necessary to ensure accurate results. This is because power is proportional to the square of the voltage or current, and using peak values would result in a different value compared to using RMS values.

Using Vpeak and Ipeak to solve a circuit may also be more time-consuming and complex compared to using Vrms and Irms. Therefore, it is recommended to use Vrms and Irms when solving AC circuits using nodal analysis.

In conclusion, while using Vpeak and Ipeak may yield similar results to using Vrms and Irms in nodal analysis, it is important to convert peak values to RMS values before calculating power to ensure accuracy. It is also more efficient to use Vrms and Irms in nodal analysis.

Related to AC Circuit Analysis (Nodal RMS)

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, and is powered by an alternating source of electrical energy, such as a generator or wall outlet. Unlike a DC (direct current) circuit, where the current flows in one direction, the current in an AC circuit changes direction periodically.

2. What is nodal analysis in AC circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to determine the voltage and current in different parts of an AC circuit. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write equations for the currents at each node (connection point) in the circuit, and solving these equations to find the unknown voltages and currents.

3. What is RMS in AC circuit analysis?

RMS (root mean square) is a mathematical term used to describe the effective value of an alternating current or voltage. In AC circuit analysis, the RMS value is used to calculate the power dissipated by components, as well as the equivalent DC value that would produce the same amount of power.

4. How is AC circuit analysis different from DC circuit analysis?

The main difference between AC and DC circuit analysis is that in AC circuits, the current and voltage can vary over time, while in DC circuits, they remain constant. As a result, AC circuit analysis involves the use of complex numbers and phasors, while DC circuit analysis only uses real numbers.

5. Why is AC circuit analysis important?

AC circuit analysis is essential for understanding and designing electrical systems that use AC power, such as household appliances, power grids, and electronic devices. It allows engineers to predict the behavior of AC circuits, optimize their performance, and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.