AC Voltage Waveform: Frequency, Time, RMS & Instantaneous Value

In summary, the conversation discusses a given AC voltage that varies with time according to the equation v(t) = 100 sin(250πt). The frequency, time for one complete cycle, instantaneous value at time = 6ms, and Root-Mean Square (RMS) value are calculated. There is a discrepancy with the solution in the book, possibly due to a typo. The correct solution is found by using the correct equation, v(t) = 100sin(100πt).
cschear87

Homework Statement

Given an AC Voltage that varies in time according to the equation:

v(t) = 100 sin(250t)

(i) What is the frequency of this waveform?

(ii) Calculate the time for one complete cycle of the voltage?

(iii) Calculate the instantaneous value of the voltage at time = 6ms.

(iv) Calculate the Root-Mean Square (RMS) value of the AC voltage.

(v) The first time after t=0ms that the instantaneous voltage is 50V.

Homework Equations

v(t) sin (250 x 6 x 10^-3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to, obviously, get the third part of this. What I have so far is:
100sin (250pi x 6 x 10^-3)
=100sin (4.71)
In an example in my book it then goes on to multiply 100 x .951... where does the .951 come from and is this what I use for this equation or should I use a different number?
The equation in the book I have is (still 6ms):
v(t) = 100sin (100pi t) V
Their solution is:
100 sin (100pi x 6 x 10^-3)
=100sin (1.88)
=100 x .951
=95.1V
Not sure what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they are using ##100\pi## instead of the ##250\pi##. Probably a typo somewhere.

The equation in the book I have is (still 6ms):
v(t) = 100sin (100pi t) V
Their solution is:
100 sin (100pi x 6 x 10^-3)
=100sin (1.88)
=100 x .951
=95.1V

sin(1.8849) = 0.951 if using radians.

In your problem (which is different to the one in the book) you use a different number eg..

= 100sin(4.71)

CWatters said:
sin(1.8849) = 0.951 if using radians.

In your problem (which is different to the one in the book) you use a different number eg..

= 100sin(4.71)

OH I see, just got confused. Thank you!

The frequency of this waveform is 250 Hz, as indicated by the 250π in the equation. This means that the voltage completes 250 cycles in one second.

To calculate the time for one complete cycle, we can use the formula T = 1/f, where T is the time and f is the frequency. In this case, T = 1/250 = 0.004 seconds or 4 milliseconds.

To calculate the instantaneous value of the voltage at time = 6ms, we can simply plug in t=0.006 into the equation. v(0.006) = 100sin(250π x 0.006) = 99.951 V.

The RMS value of an AC voltage is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared instantaneous values over one complete cycle. In this case, the RMS value would be 100/√2 = 70.71 V.

To find the first time after t=0ms that the instantaneous voltage is 50V, we can set the equation equal to 50 and solve for t. 50 = 100sin(250πt) then t = 1/(250π) x arcsin(0.5) = 0.002 seconds or 2 milliseconds.

FAQ: AC Voltage Waveform: Frequency, Time, RMS & Instantaneous Value

1. What is the frequency of an AC voltage waveform?

The frequency of an AC voltage waveform is the number of complete cycles of the waveform that occur in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is typically 50 or 60 Hz for household electricity.

2. How is time related to an AC voltage waveform?

Time is an important factor in an AC voltage waveform as it is used to measure the duration of each cycle. The time period of a waveform is the time it takes for one complete cycle to occur and is the inverse of the frequency (T = 1/f).

3. What is the RMS value of an AC voltage waveform?

The RMS (Root Mean Square) value of an AC voltage waveform is the equivalent DC voltage that would produce the same amount of power in a resistive circuit. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared values of the waveform over one cycle.

4. What is the instantaneous value of an AC voltage waveform?

The instantaneous value of an AC voltage waveform is the voltage at a specific point in time during one cycle. It constantly fluctuates between positive and negative values and is represented by the waveform on a graph.

5. How is the AC voltage waveform different from a DC voltage waveform?

The main difference between AC and DC voltage waveforms is that AC voltage changes direction periodically, while DC voltage remains constant. AC voltage also has a frequency and time period, whereas DC voltage does not.