Academic issues and study habits (possible transfer).

In summary, the individual is currently studying Electrical Engineering at a non-ABET accredited college and is struggling with poor grades and study habits. They are considering transferring to a different college that is ABET accredited and potentially easier, but are unsure if this will address their study habits. They also mention potential concerns about future career opportunities and getting a Masters degree.
Akaisora
Gold Member
I am currently taking Electrical Engineering at a local college outside of the United States. I will be direct and explicit about my issue here: I am getting terrible grades, possibly failing three classes this semester and I don't see myself adjusting properly in my current college. I am worried about internships and ABET accreditation; my current college is not accredited and doesn't have the same internships/possible job opportunities that the other college that I might transfer to has . I am deciding to transfer to that other college that is ABET accredited and supposedly "easier"; my current college is known for being difficult for the wrong reasons.MY QUESTIONS:
1-Should I transfer? I am worried about my current GPA (2.6 out of 4.0), and I want to get a masters degree in a good school. Also, how important is ABET accreditation?

2-What should I do to avoid these problems that have plaguing me since my second year of high school: terrible study habits, constant distractions, a lot of time wasted trying to solve problems or getting stuck studying. I can't pay attention enough in lectures, and I get headaches and increased blood pressure the day before exam; I got it today and I barely studied anything for my final exam. I am afraid that these habits might affect me even when I transfer or try to get Masters/PhD.

The thing about my current college is that it has limited facilities and no ABET accreditation. My personal experience with it has been awful and psychologically destructive; it is similar to working in a place you don't like. I want to leave this place, fix my GPA and studying issues: I want to be able to handle pressure, and I want to be punctual and use my time properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Going to a different college may help if they have more helpful facilities and staff, but the final question is... are you going to change your study habits? You say you get high blood pressure before an exam. Everyone becomes stressed before exams, but do you prepare for the exam adequately? Also, I do not think viewing time spent on trying to solve problems as "wasted" time.

But perhaps if you move to a different college you will have better environment to helps you focus. You should try to find a friend or someone in your class to study with since studying by yourself may not be the solution to your problem.

Also, perhaps you may want work on your habits. You may need some medication to help you focus. I know many people will be against it, but it has proven to help others, and I genuinely know people that suffer from ADHD that could not have graduated without medication. I hope you figure out what you want to do and good luck in your academics!

Likes CalcNerd

FAQ: Academic issues and study habits (possible transfer).

1. What are some common academic issues that students face?

Some common academic issues that students face include time management difficulties, lack of motivation, poor study skills, difficulty understanding course material, and procrastination.

2. How can I improve my study habits?

To improve your study habits, you can start by creating a study schedule and sticking to it, finding a quiet and comfortable study space, breaking up studying into smaller chunks, taking breaks, and actively engaging with the material by using different study techniques such as note-taking and practice questions.

3. How do I know if a transfer to a different academic program is the right decision for me?

Consider researching the program you are interested in, speaking with academic advisors and current students, and assessing if the new program aligns with your academic and career goals.

4. What are some important factors to consider when transferring to a different academic program?

Some important factors to consider when transferring to a different academic program include the program's curriculum and requirements, the reputation and accreditation of the institution, the location and cost of attendance, and potential transfer credits.

5. How can I make a smooth transition to a new academic program?

To make a smooth transition to a new academic program, it is important to plan ahead and communicate with your current and future academic advisors, stay organized with application deadlines and required documents, and be open to new learning experiences and challenges in the new program.