Is Dark Energy Consistent with a Cosmological Constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses recent discoveries of Type Ia supernovae with the Hubble Space Telescope and their implications for the behavior of dark energy. The results support the idea of a cosmological constant and raise questions about its constancy and the coincidence of its energy density with that of matter and dark matter. Some propose a modification of the cosmological equations to address this coincidence problem. Others suggest a varying speed of light cosmology as a possible solution.
Mike2 said:
We 'are talking about the priod of Inflation before the Standard Model was in effect, right? So I suppose anything's possible there, including a different speed of light, etc.

I suggest you take a look at this paper:

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0208093"

If you're wondering why we still discuss variable speed of light cosmologies, it's because they propose a change in the laws of relativity (they actually break Lorentz invariance), not just a simple change in c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
SpaceTiger said:

If you're wondering why we still discuss variable speed of light cosmologies, it's because they propose a change in the laws of relativity (they actually break Lorentz invariance), not just a simple change in c.

Ok, your post can be missunderstood, what breaks what?

SpaceTiger said:

Haven't read it yet, I intend to look at it. But I have to ask if they are still talking about the moments during Inflation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Inflation is a time before the GUT and the SM, etc. As such the fundamental constants based on mass and time, etc, would not be calculatable yet. As I understand it, the laws of physics as we understand them today did not apply in the moments of Inflation. For Inflation involved quantum fields in some sort of symmetric state that broke down after Inflation to give us the SM on which the dimensional constants rely. If the Inflaton field decayed to give us the mass of particles, then how would one calculate the constants that involve mass before there was mass. And if something as fundamental as mass of a particle can change (as it comes into existence), then I would think that would certainly leave open the possibility of changing c or h-bar, etc. Am I understanding things correctly here? Thanks.