Accelerating frame transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between frames in Minkowski spacetime and uses those relationships to construct a coordinate transformation. The conversation also proves that the values for A, B, and C in the transformation are uniquely determined based on certain conditions.
Fek

Homework Statement

[/B]
In Minkowski spacetime we are considering a (series of) frame(s), S', attached to a rocket with constant proper acceleration. The rocket's speed in S is v.

We find with boundary conditions x = 0 at t = t' = 0 the relationships between S and S' (for x' = 0, i.e. at the rocket):

$$t = \frac{1}{a}sinh(a't') $$
$$ x = \frac{1}{a'}[cosh(a't') - 1] $$

Let's use these results to construct a full coordinate transformation from the lab frame x,t, to the accelerating frame x',t'. Try

$$t = Asinh(a't') + B$$
$$ x= Acosh(a't') + C $$

Prove that if
i) surface of constant t' are surfaces of constant time in a frame moving instantaneously at v
ii) t matches with t' at early times and small x', while x agrees with x' at early times

then A, B and C are uniquely determined and that

$$t = (\frac{1}{a} + x') sinh(a't'/c)$$
$$ x = (\frac{1}{a} + x') cosh(a't'/c) - \frac{1}{a} $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For x to agree with x' at early times (cosh(a't')=1) we know:

$$A = (k + x') $$
$$C = -k$$

Where k is a constant.

Then t and t' to agree at early t' and small x' we can see k= 1/a.

However I don't know what limit condition 1 implies and cannot see a way to make the proof "watertight".

Physics news on Phys.org
Condition 1 basically says you can set up a third frame S'' at the same speed as S' relative to S, and that t'' depends only on t' (not x').
Sorry for the brief reply, I'll elaborate when I can.

FAQ: Accelerating frame transformation

1. What is an accelerating frame transformation?

An accelerating frame transformation is a mathematical technique used in physics to convert measurements and equations from one reference frame to another that is undergoing acceleration. This is necessary because the laws of physics behave differently in accelerating frames compared to frames that are at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. Why is an accelerating frame transformation important?

Accelerating frame transformations are important because they allow scientists to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects and systems that are undergoing acceleration. Without this technique, our understanding of the laws of physics would be limited to only frames at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

3. How is an accelerating frame transformation performed?

An accelerating frame transformation is performed using mathematical equations and concepts from the theory of relativity. This involves converting measurements of time, distance, and velocity between the two frames using special equations such as the Lorentz transformation.

4. What are some real-world applications of accelerating frame transformations?

Accelerating frame transformations have many practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, astrophysics, and particle physics. They are used to accurately describe the motion of objects in space, the behavior of subatomic particles, and the effects of relativity on GPS systems and other technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to accelerating frame transformations?

While accelerating frame transformations are incredibly useful, they do have limitations. They are most accurate for objects and systems undergoing uniform acceleration and may not be as accurate for more complex or non-uniform acceleration. Additionally, they are based on the theory of relativity, which may not be applicable in all situations, such as on a quantum scale.