Accelerating Particle Radiation

In summary: The induced EM fields are being caused by the AC current as well, but the waves are not as strong because the current is smaller. Lenz's Law is not applicable here because the electric and magnetic fields are not always in equilibrium.
JFS321
Guys, I'm looking for some checking of my own understanding about the EM waves given off by accelerated particles. Specifically, is this radiation only due to disturbances in a previously static electric field...therefore we are viewing this disturbance as a wave? Or, is there more to the story?

Also, I am wondering if Lenz's Law comes into play here. Are the induced EM fields being caused by the AC current also producing measurable waves? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
I think I should have stated time-varying changes in the field. Therefore, an observer outside of the field would see the varying field as a wave. (?) Is it correct to state that all em waves are formed in this manner?

JFS321 said:
Is it correct to state that all em waves are formed in this manner?
No, I don't think so. There are EM wave solutions which are vacuum solutions. If you make the assumption that all waves are formed in this manner then you get Jefimenkos equations, but that is an assumption and it ignores some valid solutions to Maxwell's equations.

Thank you. Two last questions: Should I continue, then, with my understanding that a time-varying electric field is causing these waves observed from an AC current?

And, do the induced currents of Faraday/Lenz radiate measurably?

JFS321 said:
Thank you. Two last questions: Should I continue, then, with my understanding that a time-varying electric field is causing these waves observed from an AC current?
That seems fine to me specifically for the case mentioned.

JFS321 said:
And, do the induced currents of Faraday/Lenz radiate measurably?
Yes.

JFS321 said:
Guys, I'm looking for some checking of my own understanding about the EM waves given off by accelerated particles. Specifically, is this radiation only due to disturbances in a previously static electric field...therefore we are viewing this disturbance as a wave? Or, is there more to the story?

Also, I am wondering if Lenz's Law comes into play here. Are the induced EM fields being caused by the AC current also producing measurable waves? Thanks.

My understanding is that EM waves are caused when a charge accelerates, so that ripples occur in its static electric field. The B field arises when the electric wave passes an observer. I have also discovered that an accelerating magnetic pole (not a magnetic field) can also radiate in a similar way.

Related to Accelerating Particle Radiation

1. What is particle radiation?

Particle radiation refers to the release of high-energy particles, such as protons or electrons, from a source. These particles can travel at high speeds and have the potential to cause damage to living cells.

2. How is particle radiation accelerated?

Particle radiation can be accelerated using specialized equipment, such as particle accelerators. These machines use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds, often close to the speed of light.

3. What is the purpose of accelerating particle radiation?

The purpose of accelerating particle radiation is to study the behavior of particles at high speeds and energies, as well as to use these particles for various applications such as medical treatments, materials testing, and nuclear power generation.

4. What are the potential risks associated with particle radiation?

Particle radiation can be harmful to living organisms as it has the ability to damage cells and DNA. Exposure to high levels of particle radiation can lead to various health effects, including radiation sickness, cancer, and genetic mutations.

5. How is particle radiation used in medical treatments?

Particle radiation can be used in various forms of cancer treatment, such as proton therapy. This involves directing a beam of accelerated particles at a tumor to destroy cancer cells while minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue. Particle radiation can also be used in imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to diagnose and monitor diseases.