Accelerating universe alternative

In summary, the conversation discussed an article proposing an alternative explanation for the universe's expansion, which suggests that the redshift of light is due to time slowing down rather than the universe expanding. The source of the article was found and provided, but it does not address the impact of dark energy on a smaller scale. The conversation was closed as there was already a similar discussion thread open.
MikeBeer
I read an article about 2 weeks ago (another astronomy major sent it to me, but unfortunately I'm having trouble find it, when I talk to him again I'll get the source and post it) that proposed an alternative to the universe expanding. The article stated that the reason we see light redshifted is because time is slowing down, and was, consequentially, "faster" in the past. This result keeps the speed of light constant, but since time is slowing down, the speed of light just appears to be "faster" the farther away we look. I'm only entering my second year as an astronomy/physics double major so my knowledge is limited; does this make sense or is it easily dismissed?

Physics news on Phys.org
How could this possibly explain the fact that gravitationally bound systems display no cosmological redshift whereas unbound systems do?

It doesn't make any sense to ask this until you can point us to the source. Otherwise it's just "this guy told me".

I found the source: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/01/scientist-says.html . Admittedly, to my knowledge, this doesn't account for the affect of dark energy on a more "local" scale, such as the rotation of galaxies. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Related to Accelerating universe alternative

1. What is the Accelerating Universe Alternative?

The Accelerating Universe Alternative is a theory proposed in the late 1990s to explain the observed increase in the expansion rate of the universe. It suggests that the expansion of the universe is not slowing down due to gravity, but rather speeding up due to a mysterious force called dark energy.

2. How does the Accelerating Universe Alternative differ from the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory states that the universe began with a sudden explosion and has been expanding ever since. The Accelerating Universe Alternative, on the other hand, suggests that the expansion of the universe is not constant, but rather accelerating due to the presence of dark energy.

3. What evidence supports the Accelerating Universe Alternative?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the Accelerating Universe Alternative is the observation of distant supernovae, which showed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This was unexpected, as it was previously thought that the expansion rate would be slowing down due to the effects of gravity.

4. How does dark energy play a role in the Accelerating Universe Alternative?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, as it has a repulsive effect on matter and causes it to move away from other matter.

5. Is the Accelerating Universe Alternative widely accepted by the scientific community?

While the Accelerating Universe Alternative is still a topic of debate and ongoing research, it has gained significant support from the scientific community. The 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to three scientists for their contributions to this theory, further solidifying its acceptance in the scientific community.