Acceleration and speed as m*s^-1

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of negative powers in units for acceleration and speed, with the conclusion that m/s can also be written as ms^-1. The individual expresses initial confusion but is now clear on the concept.
Xecutive
I was given this question today and I have never seen acceleration or speed with a minus power in the unit (m/s^-2). Also speed in the question has a ^-1 in the unit and I thought the unit for speed was m/s (meters per second)

Homework Statement

A body starts from rest and is subject to a constant contant acceleration of 4ms^-2 up to a speed of 20ms^-1. It then travels 20ms^-1 for 30 seconds after witch time it is retarded to a speed of 4ms^-1, if the complete motion takes 50 seconds, Find:

A) The time taken to reach 20ms^-1.

B) The retardation.

C)Total distance travelled.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have know idea what these strange units mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Xecutive. Welcome to PF!

It is simply standard algebra applied to units (which should be treated as mathematical objects).

$$x^{-1} = \frac{1}{x}$$

$$\mathrm{m} \; \mathrm{s}^{-1} = \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}}$$

$$\mathrm{m} \; \mathrm{s}^{-2} = \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}^2}$$

Note that it is not ##\mathrm{m} / \mathrm{s}^{-1}##, but ##\mathrm{m} \; \mathrm{s}^{-1}##. The former would give
$$
\mathrm{m} / \mathrm{s}^{-1} = \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}^{-1}} = \mathrm{m} \; \mathrm{s}
$$

Xecutive said:
I was given this question today and I have never seen acceleration or speed with a minus power in the unit (m/s^-2).
you mean ms^-2 not m/s^-2
Also speed in the question has a ^-1 in the unit and I thought the unit for speed was m/s (meters per second)
yes, the unit for speed is m/s, and m/s can be written as ms^-1...it's just taking the denominator, s, and placing it in the numerator as s^-1.
I personally would rather see it written as m/s instead of ms^-1, but they are nevertheless mathematically the same unit, just an algebraic manipulation of the variables.

Welcome to these forums!

It seems so obvious now.

Thanks.

Hello,

I understand your confusion about the units given in this question. It is important to note that the units for acceleration and speed can be expressed in different ways, and both m*s^-1 and m/s^-2 are valid units for acceleration, while m/s and m/s^2 are valid units for speed.

In this context, m*s^-1 is most likely being used as a shorthand for m/s^-2, which is the standard unit for acceleration. This means that the body is experiencing an acceleration of 4 meters per second per second (m/s^2) or 4 meters per second squared.

Similarly, m/s^-1 is most likely being used as a shorthand for m/s, which is the standard unit for speed. This means that the body is traveling at a speed of 20 meters per second (m/s) or 20 meters per second.

To answer the given questions, we can use the equations of motion:

A) The time taken to reach 20m/s can be found using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get: 20 = 0 + 4*t. Solving for t, we get t = 5 seconds.

B) The retardation can be found using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity (which is 4 m/s in this case), u is the initial velocity (which is 20 m/s), a is the retardation, and t is the time (which is 30 seconds). Plugging in the values, we get: 4 = 20 + a*30. Solving for a, we get a = -0.5333 m/s^2.

C) The total distance traveled can be found using the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the total distance traveled, u is the initial velocity (which is 0), a is the acceleration (which is 4 m/s^2), and t is the total time taken (which is 50 seconds). We can also break this into two parts: the distance traveled while accelerating and the distance traveled while decelerating.

Distance traveled while accelerating: s = 0 + 1/2*4*5^2 = 50

Related to Acceleration and speed as m*s^-1

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that the velocity of an object increases by 1 meter per second every second.

2. How is acceleration related to speed?

Acceleration and speed are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Acceleration is the change in speed over time, while speed is the measurement of how fast an object is moving at a given moment.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It represents the overall change in velocity over a certain period of time. Instantaneous acceleration, on the other hand, is the acceleration at a specific moment in time and can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity-time graph.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease the speed of an object or change its direction of motion. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. A positive acceleration will result in an increase in speed, while a negative acceleration will result in a decrease in speed.

5. How can acceleration and speed be used to measure distance?

If the initial speed, acceleration, and time are known, the distance an object has traveled can be calculated using the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for other variables, such as time or acceleration.