Acceleration in 2 Dimensions-Vectors and Projectiles

In summary, the airplane's velocity at t = 3.6 s is (192.192, -3.956) m/s. The relevant equation to use is average acceleration = change in velocity/change in time, and components of velocity can be found using the equations ax=change in velocityx/change in time and ay=change in velocityy/change in time. The initial velocity components can be found by using the equation Δv = vf - vi.
Snape1830
1. An airplane is flying with a velocity of (150, 0) m/s. It is accelerated at 8.92 m/s2 in the x direction, and accelerated in negative y direction at 1.21 m/s2. What is the airplane's velocity at t = 3.6 s?2. My textbook says this is a relevant equation: average acceleration = change in velocity/change in time.
ax=change in velocityx/change in time
ay=change in velocityy/change in time.

Where vx and vy are the components of velocity.
3. So, I plugged the knows (time and acceleration) into the equations and got 32.1 m/s and 4.4 m/s. But I knew it was wrong because why would they give (150, 0) m/s?

How do I solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are finding the change in the velocity components. Use Δv = vf - vi.

Thanks Doc Al. The only issue is that I need two answers. (x,y) m/s.

Snape1830 said:
The only issue is that I need two answers. (x,y) m/s.
And you have two components. What's the initial velocity x-component? y-component?

I would like to clarify that the given velocity (150, 0) m/s for the airplane is in vector form, with the first number representing the velocity in the x direction and the second number representing the velocity in the y direction. This means that the airplane is moving with a constant velocity of 150 m/s in the x direction and no velocity in the y direction.

To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion for constant acceleration in two dimensions:

Vx = V0x + ax*t
Vy = V0y + ay*t

Where Vx and Vy are the final velocities in the x and y directions respectively, V0x and V0y are the initial velocities in the x and y directions respectively, ax and ay are the accelerations in the x and y directions respectively, and t is the time.

Substituting the given values, we get:

Vx = (150 m/s) + (8.92 m/s^2)(3.6 s) = 184.32 m/s
Vy = (0 m/s) + (-1.21 m/s^2)(3.6 s) = -4.356 m/s

Therefore, the airplane's velocity at t = 3.6 s is (184.32, -4.356) m/s.

As for the second question, the relevant equation for average acceleration is:

average acceleration = (change in velocity)/(change in time)

Therefore, the average acceleration in the x direction would be:

ax = (change in velocityx)/(change in time) = (184.32 m/s - 150 m/s)/(3.6 s) = 8.92 m/s^2

Similarly, the average acceleration in the y direction would be:

ay = (change in velocityy)/(change in time) = (-4.356 m/s - 0 m/s)/(3.6 s) = -1.21 m/s^2

I hope this clarifies the problem and helps you solve it correctly. As always, remember to pay attention to the units and use vector notation when dealing with quantities in two dimensions.

FAQ: Acceleration in 2 Dimensions-Vectors and Projectiles

1. What is acceleration in two dimensions?

Acceleration in two dimensions is the rate of change of velocity in both the x and y directions. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration in two dimensions calculated?

Acceleration in two dimensions can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

4. How do vectors and projectiles relate to acceleration in two dimensions?

Vectors represent quantities with both magnitude and direction, and are used to describe acceleration in two dimensions. Projectiles are objects that are launched into the air and follow a curved path due to the effects of acceleration in two dimensions.

5. What are some real-world applications of acceleration in two dimensions?

Acceleration in two dimensions is used in many real-world scenarios, such as calculating the motion of projectiles in sports like baseball or calculating the trajectory of a rocket launch. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in circular motion, like cars on a racetrack or planets in orbit.

Back