Acceleration of a ball thrown vertically upwards

In summary, the correct answer is B because the acceleration downwards is negative and at the turning point, the acceleration is zero.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

I chose A because since the acceleration of the ball is positive vertically upwards, the acceleration downwards is negative, and at the turning point, acceleration is zero.. The correct answer is B. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
I chose A because since the acceleration of the ball is positive vertically upwards, the acceleration downwards is negative, and at the turning point, acceleration is zero..
Perhaps you are confusing acceleration (which is the rate of change in velocity) with velocity? Why do you think the acceleration changes? Does the force change?

Think about this:

If the acceleration were 0 at the maximum height, the ball would just sit there suspended. Does that happen?

If the acceleration were positive as the ball rises, then it would get faster and faster as it does. Does that happen?

Doc Al said:
Think about this:

If the acceleration were 0 at the maximum height, the ball would just sit there suspended. Does that happen?

If the acceleration were positive as the ball rises, then it would get faster and faster as it does. Does that happen?
Oh..I get what you mean.. I thought acceleration was zero at the maximum height, because v=0.. but I shouldn't see into velocity, it's the change, thanks for the help!

Doc Al said:
Perhaps you are confusing acceleration (which is the rate of change in velocity) with velocity? Why do you think the acceleration changes? Does the force change?
But why, whenever we do Kinematics questions, where an object falls, we take acceleration as g= + 9.81ms^-2 ?

Janiceleong26 said:
But why, whenever we do Kinematics questions, where an object falls, we take acceleration as g= + 9.81ms^-2 ?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, so I'll mention two things:
(1) g is usually taken as a positive constant; g = 9.81ms^-2;
(2) for a falling body, the acceleration is downward with magnitude g; whether you express that downward acceleration as + or - depends on your sign convention. (Sometimes it's convenient to use "down = positive".)

Doc Al said:
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, so I'll mention two things:
(1) g is usually taken as a positive constant; g = 9.81ms^-2;
(2) for a falling body, the acceleration is downward with magnitude g; whether you express that downward acceleration as + or - depends on your sign convention. (Sometimes it's convenient to use "down = positive".)
Ok thanks !

Related to Acceleration of a ball thrown vertically upwards

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed or direction is changing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes for the change in velocity to occur.

What is the acceleration of a ball thrown vertically upwards?

The acceleration of a ball thrown vertically upwards is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

Why does a ball thrown vertically upwards experience acceleration?

A ball thrown vertically upwards experiences acceleration because it is being acted upon by the force of gravity. As the ball moves upwards, gravity is constantly pulling it back towards the ground, causing its velocity to change.

How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a ball thrown vertically upwards?

Air resistance can slightly affect the acceleration of a ball thrown vertically upwards. As the ball moves upwards, it encounters air resistance which opposes its motion, causing it to slow down slightly. However, on Earth, the effect of air resistance on a ball thrown upwards is relatively small compared to the acceleration due to gravity.

Back