Acceleration of a rod due to magnetic force

In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation for the acceleration of a metal bar using Kirchoff's laws and found that the correct answer is 18.1 m/s^2. However, they got the answer wrong and need to look for a different way to solve the equation.
Ozmahn

Homework Statement

A 2.60-N metal bar, 1.50 m long and having a resistance of 10.0 Ω, rests horizontally on conducting wires connecting it to the circuit shown in the figure(Figure 1) . The bar is in a uniform, horizontal, 1.60-T magnetic field and is not attached to the wires in the circuit.

27.74.jpg

Homework Equations

Fb=I LxB
Fg=mg
I=V/R
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Resistance of bar and 10 ohm resistor are parallel, so combining them gives a ohm resistor. That is in series with the 25 ohm resistor, so the Req of the circuit is 30 ohms.
I=V/R=120/30=4 A
Using Kirchoff's laws, found that current passing through bar is 2 A.
Since current is moving clockwise, right hand rule says the force due to the magnetic field is moving the bar to the right.
The net force is Fb-Fg. Fg is given as 2.6N, Fb is
(2)(1.6)x(1.5)
Since L and B vectors are perpendicular, take the scalar product.
Fb=4.8N
To find m,
Fg=mg => Fg/g=m => 2.6/9.8=0.27 kg
To find acceleration, solve F=ma for a
a=F/m
So
a=(Fb-Fn)/m
a=(4.8-2.6)/.027
a=8.15

I got it wrong, and it says that the correct answer is 18.1 m/s^2. Any ideas as to where I went wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to an initial current, it will have an acceleration and as it moves, the net flux through the loop changes. Hence another Emf is induced on that loop. So now you know why you did not get the required answer.

Sorry, I didn't clarify. They want to know the acceleration right after the switch is flipped. I thought that the emf is only induced as a result of changing current...if we're just looking at the instant that the switch is flipped, then there wouldn't be an induced emf yet since the bar hasn't moved and the current is still 2A...is that correct?

So if i disregard the contribution of gravity to the net force, i just get 4.8/.027=17.7, much closer to the answer provided by masteringphyics. But i don't understand why you wouldn't consider gravity...is there an underlying assumption that i missed?

Also, Fb amd Fg are acting in perpendicular directions, since the circuit is kept horizontal. So you have to find the resultant force using vector method. You can subtract them like you have shown in the post.

There are three forces acting on the rod. You need to consider the direction of these forces and the direction of the acceleration of the rod. Draw a free body diagram of the rod.

Note, the data is given to three significant figures. So, the mass should be (2.60 N)/(9.80 m/s2) = 0.265 kg (rather than 0.27 kg).

Likes Ozmahn and AdityaDev
I hadn't even considered the normal force...looking at the force diagram, the normal force would cancel the force due to gravity, leaving the net force as only the magnetic force. Is that accurate?

Ozmahn said:
I hadn't even considered the normal force...looking at the force diagram, the normal force would cancel the force due to gravity, leaving the net force as only the magnetic force. Is that accurate?
Yes.

Okay awesome, that makes sense to me now. Thank you!

Related to Acceleration of a rod due to magnetic force

1. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of a rod due to magnetic force?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of a rod due to magnetic force is a = (qvB)/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the rod, v is the velocity of the rod, B is the magnetic field strength, and m is the mass of the rod. This is known as the Lorentz force equation.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the acceleration of the rod?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the acceleration of the rod because the force exerted by the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the rod and the magnetic field itself. This means that the direction of the acceleration will be perpendicular to both the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the acceleration of the rod?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the acceleration of the rod. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the acceleration of the rod will also increase. This relationship is represented in the Lorentz force equation by the variable B.

4. Can the acceleration of a rod due to magnetic force be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a rod due to magnetic force can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the magnetic force is opposite to the direction of the velocity of the rod. In this case, the rod will experience a deceleration or a change in direction.

5. How does the charge of the rod affect its acceleration due to magnetic force?

The charge of the rod has a direct impact on its acceleration due to magnetic force. If the charge of the rod is increased, the acceleration will also increase, and vice versa. This is because the force exerted by the magnetic field on the rod is directly proportional to the charge of the rod, as shown in the Lorentz force equation.