Acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves a uniform horizontal wire with a linear mass density of 0.520 g/m carrying a 2.70 A current in a constant magnetic field of 4.17×10-3 T. The wire is moving upward from rest and the question is asking for its acceleration, neglecting the magnetic field of the Earth. By using the equations F=ma and F=ILB, the value for acceleration is derived as a= ILB/m. However, the mass density needs to be incorporated in the equation, which is done by rearranging it to be ma/L=IB. After calculating, the original answer of 21.65 m/s^2 is corrected to 11.84 m/s^
kopinator
A uniform horizontal wire with a linear mass density of 0.520 g/m carries a 2.70 A current. It is placed in a constant magnetic field, with a strength of 4.17×10-3 T, that is horizontal and perpendicular to the wire. As the wire moves upward starting from rest, what is its acceleration? Neglect the magnetic field of the Earth.

F=ma
F=ILB

From these two equations, I derived an equation a= ILB/m. I have all the variables except L and m which will come with each other once I figure how to incorporate the mass density. So my question is, how do I use the linear mass density in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
m/L is the mass density.

ok. So i rearranged the equation to be ma/L=IB. Since the mass density is .520 g/m, I divided IB/.520 and got .02165 m/s^2. But when i plugged it in it was wrong. I converted .520 g/m to .000520 kg/m and solved and still got the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

I get 21.65 N. What is the "correct" answer?

Lay out all of your numbers and calculate again; also what happened to the kg?

I figured it out. 21.65 m/s^2 was the correct value from the equation but I had to take into account that the wire is still being affect by Earth's gravitational acceleration so i took 21.65-9.81 = 11.84 m/s^2. Thank you for ur assistance!

I thought it said " Neglect the magnetic field of the Earth", which is averages 0.5 gauss:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

But if it is to be included we have 1 T = 10,000 gauss, so the it is 0.05 x 10^-3 T, or about 1% of your given field; and of course the force depends upon the direction of the wire ... so assuming that the fields are anti-parallel (opposite polarities) the reduction is only 0.22 N or so.

FAQ: Acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field

1. What is the acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field?

The acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field is the rate of change of its velocity with respect to time. It is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force experienced by a charged particle moving in a magnetic field.

2. How is the acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field calculated?

The acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation a = (q/m) * (v x B), where q is the charge of the wire, m is its mass, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength. This equation is known as the Lorentz force law.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field?

The acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the wire, and the velocity of the wire. Additionally, the angle between the wire's velocity and the magnetic field can also affect the acceleration.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the acceleration of a wire?

The direction of the magnetic field can affect the acceleration of a wire by changing the direction of the Lorentz force acting on the wire. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wire's velocity, the wire will experience a force that causes it to move in a circular path. If the magnetic field is parallel to the wire's velocity, there will be no force and therefore no acceleration.

5. What real-life applications involve the acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field?

The acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field is used in many different applications, including electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices such as loudspeakers and MRI machines. Understanding the acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field is crucial for the development of many modern technologies.

Back