Acceleration of centre of mass problem

In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving the acceleration of center of mass. They provide a picture of the problem, and after some discussion with a friend, they come to the conclusion that the answer should be option (b), but the question says it is option (a). Another person explains that when converting the answer to vector form, it will match option (a) because the vectors include direction and the minus sign will not be shown. The original person thanks the friend for their help.
coldblood
Hi friends,
I have an issue in solving a Acceleration of center of mass problem.
Please Help me in solving this.
Thank you all in advance.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1395961_1432382973655475_777941089_n.jpg

Attempt:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q82/s720x720/1381887_1432380636989042_263502974_n.jpg

Friends according to me the answer should be Option (b) but question says the answer is option (a).Please try to help me in this.
I will appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you will convert your answer to vector form, the answer would match option (a). Because the vectors include the direction, so minus sign will not be shown. Assuming positive direction to be downwards, then ##\vec{R}=-R##

NihalSh said:
When you will convert your answer to vector form, the answer would match option (a). Because the vectors include the direction, so minus sign will not be shown. Assuming positive direction to be downwards, then ##\vec{R}=-R##

Thanks NihalSh, I got that.
Thank for the help.

FAQ: Acceleration of centre of mass problem

1. What is the definition of acceleration of centre of mass?

The acceleration of centre of mass refers to the rate of change of the velocity of an object's centre of mass. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity.

2. How is acceleration of centre of mass different from regular acceleration?

Regular acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object at a specific point, while acceleration of centre of mass considers the change in velocity of an object's entire mass. It takes into account the distribution of mass and the resulting changes in motion.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of centre of mass?

The acceleration of centre of mass is affected by the net external force acting on an object and the distribution of mass within the object. The direction and magnitude of the force and the shape of the object also play a role in determining the acceleration of centre of mass.

4. How is acceleration of centre of mass calculated?

The acceleration of centre of mass can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration of centre of mass.

5. Why is the concept of acceleration of centre of mass important in physics?

The acceleration of centre of mass is an important concept in physics because it allows us to analyze the motion of complex objects that have varying distributions of mass. It also helps us understand the behaviour of objects in different situations, such as collisions and rotations. Additionally, the concept is crucial in the study of systems of multiple objects, such as planets in orbit or molecules in motion.

Back