Acceleration of Rollercoaster hill?

In summary, to calculate the acceleration of the train during the trip down the first hill, you can use the equation d=V(initial)(t)+.5(a)(t)^2 and consider the potential energy at the top and the velocity it will have at the bottom of the hill. Using the equation v = a*t, you can find the acceleration of the train.
alliereid

Homework Statement

Calculate the acceleration of the train during the trip down the first hill

Time for train to go from top of hill to bottom:3.5 s
Time for train to pass point at top of hill 1.5s
Time for train to go from bottom to top of first hill:7 s
Time for train to pass point of bottom of hill:1s
Height of hill: 16.155 m

Homework Equations

d=V(initial)(t)+.5(a)(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using that equation but there is two variables missing distance and acceleration. I can't use the height of the hill because isn't this a x problem (parallel problem)? I don't understand how I can find the acceleration of the rollercoaster train during the trip down the hill with only this data.

Physics news on Phys.org
With no diagram you need to be more specific.

Okay I attached a diagram. As you can see, the train is going up and I'm trying to find the accel from the top of the hill to the bottom.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 510
Until approved no one can see the picture.

But consider the potential energy at the top and the velocity it will have at the bottom of the hill.

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v2

so ...

v2 = 2*g*h

Also you should know that

v = a*t

Looks like you may have enough info after all.

Related to Acceleration of Rollercoaster hill?

1. What is acceleration on a rollercoaster hill?

Acceleration on a rollercoaster hill refers to the rate at which the rollercoaster increases its speed while traveling up or down a hill. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration calculated on a rollercoaster hill?

The acceleration on a rollercoaster hill can be calculated using the formula a = (vf² - vi²) / 2d, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and d is the distance traveled on the hill.

3. What factors affect the acceleration on a rollercoaster hill?

The acceleration on a rollercoaster hill is affected by several factors, including the steepness of the hill, the mass of the rollercoaster, and the force of gravity. The steeper the hill, the faster the acceleration, and the heavier the rollercoaster, the slower the acceleration. Gravity also plays a major role in determining the acceleration on a rollercoaster hill.

4. Is acceleration on a rollercoaster hill constant?

No, acceleration on a rollercoaster hill is not constant. It changes throughout the ride depending on the shape and steepness of the hill. However, the acceleration at the top of the hill is usually close to zero, as the rollercoaster reaches its maximum height and begins to slow down.

5. How does acceleration on a rollercoaster hill impact the ride experience?

The acceleration on a rollercoaster hill is a major factor in creating the thrilling and exciting experience of a rollercoaster ride. The changes in acceleration, especially during steep drops, can create feelings of weightlessness and adrenaline rushes. The acceleration also adds to the overall speed of the ride, making it more thrilling for the riders.