Acceleration of slinding crate pushed and pulled at the same time

In summary, we have a crate that needs to be pushed and pulled simultaneously by two workers, Joe and Paul. Joe can exert twice as much force as Paul, and Paul can exert 155 N of force. The crate has a mass of 41 kg, an angle of 20°, and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.55 between the floor and the crate. The question is whether it is better to have Paul push and Joe pull, or vice-versa, in order to move the crate as fast as possible. Using trigonometry and the formula for force of friction, we can calculate the horizontal acceleration for both cases and determine the better option. The formula for friction force is Fn*miu(k), and
acherentia
Two workers must slide a crate designed to be pushed and pulled at the same time as shown in the figure below. Joe can always exert twice as much force as Paul, and Paul can exert 155 N of force. The crate has a mass m = 41 kg, the angle θ = 20° and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the floor and crate is 0.55.

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/eandronic/?action=view&current=4-p-073.gif

If we want to move the crate as fast as possible, is it better to have Paul push and Joe pull, or vice-versa?
Intuitively, I consider it's better to have Paul push, and Joe pull.

Calculate the (horizontal) acceleration for both cases to find out.

Paul pushing m/s2 ?
Joe pushing m/s2 ?

I am not sure which are all the forces on the x-axis acting on the crate and how to calculate them at the given angle?

Attachments

• 4-p-073.gif
    4-p-073.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the question?
It will take a long time to get your attachment approved so we can see it. Suggest you upload the diagram to a free photo site like photobucket.com and post a link here.

Delphi51 said:
What exactly is the question?
It will take a long time to get your attachment approved so we can see it. Suggest you upload the diagram to a free photo site like photobucket.com and post a link here.

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/eandronic/

If we want to move the crate as fast as possible, is it better to have Paul push and Joe pull, or vice-versa?
1 It's better to have Paul push, and Joe pull.

Calculate the (horizontal) acceleration for both cases to find out.

Paul pushing m/s2 ?
Joe pushing m/s2 ?

Okay, so you'll have to use trig to find the horizontal and vertical parts of each force in each of the two scenarios. And find the friction force. Then you'll be in a position to do "sum of forces = ma".

what i tried is
when paul pushes:
a(x)=fpush_paul*cos(180-20)+fpull_joe*cos20 -Ff

when joe pushes:
a(x)=fpush_joe*cos160+f pull_paul*cos20 - Ff

and I am not sure of this and I also don't know the correct expression for Fn, therefore I don't have the good expression for Ff.

in both cases i get negative accelerations.

You have forgotten to include friction.
Careful with cos(180-20). It is negative. Better to use cos(20) I'd say.

I have included and subtracted friction. Just that I don't know the formula for it.

Ff=Fn*miu(k)

miu of kinetic friction is given, Fn is unknown and I am not sure how to express it.

One option is Fn - m*g*sin_20 + Fpull_sin_20+ Fpush_sin_20 = 0 the other option is Fn=mgsin20.

Regarding the acceleration on the x axis:
If the angle is 20 in both cases would this be a right formula then? I am not sure what it is that quantifies the difference that I intuitively understand should give me a greater magnitude when the stronger guy pulls.

when paul pushes:
a(x)=(fpush_paul*cos20+fpull_joe*cos20 -Ffriction) / mass

when joe pushes:
a(x)=(fpush_joe*cos20+f pull_paul*cos20 - Ffriction) / mass

Please advise.

Yes, less friction when Joe pulls because the stronger force is partly upward and it therefore reduces Fn.
Fn is the total vertical (downward) force pushing the block against the ground. Add mg, the component of Joe's force that is upward and the component of Paul's force that is downward.

ok..note :paul=155N and joe=310N
case 1:when paul pushes and joe pulls..
ma(y)=N+F_joe sin20-F_paul sin20 - mg
a(y)=0; solve for N
ma(x)=F_joe cos20+F_paul cos20-miu N

case 2:when joe pushes and paul pulls
ma(y)=N+F_paul sin20-F_joe sin20 - mg
a(y)=0 ;solve for N
ma(x)=F_joe cos20+F_paul cos20-miu N

Related to Acceleration of slinding crate pushed and pulled at the same time

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How does pushing and pulling affect the acceleration of a sliding crate?

Pushing and pulling on a sliding crate can affect its acceleration in different ways. Pushing the crate in the same direction as its motion will increase its acceleration, while pulling it in the opposite direction will decrease its acceleration. If the pushing and pulling forces are equal, the crate's acceleration will remain constant.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a sliding crate?

The acceleration of a sliding crate can be affected by factors such as the magnitude and direction of the pushing and pulling forces, the mass of the crate, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is sliding on.

5. How does the acceleration of a sliding crate change if the pushing and pulling forces are applied at different angles?

The acceleration of a sliding crate can change depending on the angle at which the pushing and pulling forces are applied. If the forces are applied at a 90-degree angle to each other, the acceleration will be greatest. If they are applied at the same angle, the acceleration will be less. If they are applied at opposing angles, the acceleration will be even less.

Back