Acceleration of Two Disks Welded Together

In summary, two metal disks, one with radius R1 = 2.50 cm and mass M1 = 0.80 kg and the other with radius R2 = 5.00 cm and mass M2 = 1.60 kg, are welded together and mounted on a frictionless axis through their common center. A light string is wrapped around the edge of the smaller disk, and a 1.50 kg block is suspended from the free end of the string. The magnitude of the downward acceleration of the block after it has been released is 2.88m/s^2.
student34

Homework Statement

Two metal disks, one with radius R1 = 2.50 cm and mass M1 = 0.80 kg and the other with radius R2 = 5.00 cm and mass M2 = 1.60 kg, are welded together and mounted on a frictionless axis through their common center.

(a) A light string is wrapped around the edge of the smaller disk, and a 1.50 kg block is suspended from the free end of the string. What is the magnitude of the downward acceleration of the block after it has been released.

(I should add that there is a picture that looks like an axis going through a nickel and a dime stuck together, and there is a weight hanging from the string that is wrapped around the smaller disk.)

Homework Equations

τ = F*L = I(1)*α + I(2)*α, where L = radius, τ = torque and α = angular acceleration.

I = 0.5*M*R^2

a = α*L

The Attempt at a Solution

F*L = I(1)*α + I(2)*α

α = F*L/(I(1) + I(2))

α = (1.50kg *9.8*0.025m)/(0.5*0.8kg*(0.025m)^2 + 0.5*1.6kg*(0.05m)^2) = 163.333rad/s^2

a = α*L = (163.333rad/s^2)*0.025m = 4.08m/s^2

But the answer is 2.88m/s^2.

Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be careful converting your units. In determining the angular acceleration, you are using a value of 5 cm (0.05 m) for R2, which the OP states is 0.500 cm, or 0.005 m.

SteamKing said:
You have to be careful converting your units. In determining the angular acceleration, you are using a value of 5 cm (0.05 m) for R2, which the OP states is 0.500 cm, or 0.005 m.

Darn, it is suppose to be 5.00cm. I edited it.

Related to Acceleration of Two Disks Welded Together

1. How does the acceleration of two disks welded together differ from that of a single disk?

The acceleration of two disks welded together can vary depending on the placement and alignment of the disks. If the disks are perfectly aligned, the acceleration will be the same as a single disk. However, if the disks are not aligned, the acceleration will be affected by the difference in distribution of mass and any added friction from the welding process.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of two disks welded together?

The acceleration of two disks welded together is affected by the mass distribution, alignment, and friction between the disks. Additionally, external factors such as the forces applied to the disks and the surface they are on can also impact the acceleration.

3. Can two disks with different masses be welded together?

Yes, two disks with different masses can be welded together. However, the resulting acceleration will be affected by the difference in mass between the two disks. The heavier disk will have a greater influence on the acceleration of the combined system.

4. How does welding affect the overall acceleration of the disks?

Welding can affect the acceleration of two disks by adding friction between the two surfaces, which can slow down the acceleration. Additionally, if the welding is not done accurately, it can cause misalignment of the disks, resulting in a change in the acceleration of the combined system.

5. Is it possible for the acceleration of two disks welded together to be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the acceleration of two disks welded together to be negative. This can occur if the forces applied to the disks are in opposite directions, causing them to move in opposite directions and resulting in a negative acceleration. It can also happen if the disks are not aligned properly, causing the combined system to slow down or move in a different direction than expected.