Acceleration operator and the electron in a hydrogen atom

In summary: It seems that in some sense the expectation value of the RMS-value of the acceleration operator is not calculable.
QuasiParticle
I am wondering about acceleration in quantum mechanics. Let's consider spherically symmetric potential [itex]V(r)[/itex]. From the Heisenberg equation of motion, one finds the time derivative of the momentum operator

[tex]\dot{\hat{p}}=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left[\hat{H},\hat{p}\right] = -\nabla V,[/tex]
from which we can construct an acceleration operator simply by

[tex]\hat{a} = -\frac{1}{m} \nabla V .[/tex]
I then want to apply this to the electron in a hydrogen atom. The expectation value of the acceleration is undoubtedly zero for every state. But the RMS-value could be expected to be non-zero. The calculation of the expectation value

[tex]\langle \Psi_{nlm} | \hat{a}^2 | \Psi_{nlm} \rangle[/tex]
for the ground state

[tex]\Psi_{100}(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a_0^3}}e^{-r/a_0}[/tex]
gives a divergent result due to the Coulomb potential. The same evidently happens with all other states of hydrogen as well. I don't know how to interpret this result. Is acceleration not a good observable in quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should get a finite value if you take into account that the proton radius is finite. That does not help for positronium, of course.
Alternatively, you could consider <|a|>.

Thanks mfb!

mfb said:
You should get a finite value if you take into account that the proton radius is finite. That does not help for positronium, of course.
I thought about assigning the problem to the Coulomb potential, but as you say, it does not save the case of a "point nucleus" (e.g. positronium).

mfb said:
Alternatively, you could consider <|a|>.
You are right, [itex]\langle |\hat{a}| \rangle[/itex] gives a finite value. But it seems strange that the RMS expectation cannot be calculated. I wonder if this reflects some deeper property of the "acceleration operator", or just misuse of the Coulomb potential in ordinary QM, etc.

You would have the same problem if, say, you wanted to calculate the expectation value of 1/|x| for the 1D harmonic oscillator ground state. The expectation value really is infinite. I don't think this indicates any sort of pathology (it does suggest that in practice no apparatus can really measure the quantity 1/|x|, which is sensible: any real apparatus will have a finite position resolution which will cut off the divergent integral).

Is there some other way to differentiate an operator?

Related to Acceleration operator and the electron in a hydrogen atom

1. What is the acceleration operator in quantum mechanics?

The acceleration operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the acceleration of a particle. It is represented by the symbol 𝛼 and is defined as the second derivative of the position operator with respect to time.

2. How is the acceleration operator related to the electron in a hydrogen atom?

In the context of the hydrogen atom, the acceleration operator is used to describe the motion of the electron around the nucleus. It is one of the operators used in the Schrödinger equation, which is used to calculate the energy levels and wave function of the electron in the hydrogen atom.

3. What is the role of the acceleration operator in determining the energy levels of the hydrogen atom?

The acceleration operator, along with the position and momentum operators, is used in the Schrödinger equation to calculate the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. The eigenvalues of the acceleration operator correspond to the allowed energy levels of the electron in the hydrogen atom.

4. How does the acceleration operator affect the wave function of the electron in the hydrogen atom?

The acceleration operator acts on the wave function of the electron in the hydrogen atom and determines how it changes over time. This is because the acceleration operator is related to the time evolution of the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the electron in a particular state at a given time.

5. Can the acceleration operator be used to predict the exact position of the electron in the hydrogen atom?

No, the acceleration operator cannot be used to predict the exact position of the electron in the hydrogen atom. This is because of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The acceleration operator only describes the average acceleration of the electron over time.