Acceptable Band Pass for a Monochromator?

In summary, to determine the error in measuring light intensity versus wavelength for a given monochromator band pass width, you will need to consider the absorption of the light by the liquids. The range of error cannot be determined without knowing the dependence of absorption on wavelength. It may be possible to measure this by passing the laser through the liquids as an alternative approach.
Habeebe
Short version: how do I figure out how much error I get when measuring light intensity vs wavelength for a given monochromator band pass width?

Long version:
I have a project where we will be passing white light through liquids, then looking at the spectrum intensity of the light with a monochromator. The measurement of intensity is done with a regular photodiode. For the light source I'm using, there is about .02V of noise. The range the photodiode can output is about 0-10V. I measured the band pass of the monochromator with a HeNe laser and got 1.1nm for a .1mm slit and 3.9nm for a .5mm slit. For the small slit the output signal peaks around 2.2V, for the larger slit I get up to 4.9V. I'm concerned about the small slit giving me enough resolution in intensity valus, but I'm also hesitant to be measuring much larger than 1nm bands at any given point. For a given band pass width, about how much error do I expect in my results?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on how strongly your absorption depends on the wavelength, so there is no general answer. I guess you can measure this if you shine your laser through the liquids (why is this not the default solution?).

FAQ: Acceptable Band Pass for a Monochromator?

1. What is an acceptable band pass for a monochromator?

An acceptable band pass for a monochromator depends on the specific instrument and the application. Generally, it should be narrow enough to provide sufficient resolution, but wide enough to allow for a maximum amount of light to pass through.

2. How is the band pass of a monochromator determined?

The band pass of a monochromator is determined by the width of the slit and the grating or prism used to disperse the light. It can also be adjusted by changing the focal length of the monochromator.

3. What is the ideal band pass for spectral analysis?

The ideal band pass for spectral analysis varies depending on the type of analysis being performed. In general, a narrower band pass is preferred for high-resolution analysis, while a wider band pass may be used for faster analysis of broad spectra.

4. Can the band pass of a monochromator be adjusted?

Yes, the band pass of a monochromator can be adjusted by changing the slit width, grating or prism, or focal length of the instrument. Some monochromators also have adjustable band pass settings that allow for fine-tuning.

5. What are the effects of a too narrow or too wide band pass in a monochromator?

A too narrow band pass can result in poor signal-to-noise ratio and decreased sensitivity, while a too wide band pass can result in reduced resolution and spectral overlap. It is important to choose an appropriate band pass for the specific analysis being performed.