Accident leaves basketball player with no memory

In summary, 18-year-old Kayla Hutcheson is looking forward to her first Christmas in memory. She learned about the traditions, decorations and general holiday hoopla and found them to be interesting. However, she did not enjoy the religious elements of the holiday. She hopes to have her memory restored so that she can fully enjoy the holiday.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An interesting local story in the news.

WALLA WALLA, Wash. (AP) - At 18 years old, Kayla Hutcheson is looking forward to her first Christmas in memory.

The more the Walla Walla Community College freshman learns about the traditions, decorations and general holiday hoopla, the more Christmas sounds like something she'll like...
http://www.katu.com/news/local/36581724.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Fascinating story. Coulda done without that Jesus stuff at the end, though.
I hope there's some follow-up as to her progress.

I hit my head once, and lost 2 years of memory, but it came back to me in about 24 hours. Durring this period, I also had instant short term memory loss. I was at the hospital asking why I was there every 30 seconds. After I had regained my memory, I felt very strange and confused, it was a horrible feeling. I hope she gets her memory back.

No one knows how I hit my head, and it ramains a mystery. There were no scrapes, bruises, redmarks or anything of the sort, onle a larger than normal bump behind my ear. I like to think that I was abducted by aliens. LOL

jreelawg said:
I like to think that I was abducted by aliens. LOL

It was probably Ivan.
Just out of curiosity... now that you've recovered, do you remember not remembering? I mean, do you have a recollection of the times when you had no memory or do the facts as you know them fill in the blanks?

No, I don't remember not remembering, but my family informed me of what I was doing.
I remember putting on the clothes I wore that day, I remember what I was wearing, the next memory was the next day in the car getting the details on what happened. It was all pretty confusing. I kind of have a shaky partial memory of being inside this white tube ( getting cat scan), but I don't really remember anything except the image.

It seams like it all came back at once, at least as best as I can recall. I have had no revelations, or flashbacks after.

I had a really bad concussion when I was a kid. I remember none of that day, and every thing I know was what my younger sisters told me. Were skating on a small pond with other kids and I tried to jump a snow bank we had made, shoveling off the ice. I flipped and hit the back of my head on the ice. I got up, went to a log to take off my hockey skates, and change into my boots. My sisters were really mad because they had to leave when I did and they had to change fast, then instead of walking along roads, etc, I made a bee-line across country through woods, swamps etc. I went upstairs to my room and laid down. I don't remember the doctor making a house-call, but he did. The first thing that I remember of that entire day was waking up in the evening and my father was sitting at my bed-side with a new hockey-stick that he had bought me for Christmas. That whole day is gone, except for a few minutes in the evening.

When I was 14, I lost three days of memory. I was in the hospital with mononucleosis, I had a fever of 105+F when I was brought in.

My first memory was of my mother sitting at the foot of my hospital bed and she said that if I continued to improve I could go home in a few days, and she knew I was anxious to get out of there. I told her, "but I just got here". She looked at me kind of funny and said "you've been here for three days".

Apparently I was awake and talking the whole three days, but I have absolutely no memory.

The doctors told us that they didn't think that I had suffered brain damage, but before that, I had total recall, a photographic memory, and a formally tested IQ of 185. I noticed that I lost a lot of my "powers" after that incident.

Related to Accident leaves basketball player with no memory

1. What caused the accident that left the basketball player with no memory?

The accident was caused by a collision with another player during a game. The player hit his head on the court, resulting in a traumatic brain injury.

2. Is it common for athletes to experience memory loss after a head injury?

Yes, it is not uncommon for athletes to experience memory loss after a head injury. This is especially true for contact sports like basketball where head injuries are more likely to occur.

3. Will the basketball player ever regain his memory?

It is difficult to say for certain whether the basketball player will fully regain his memory. It will depend on the severity of the injury and the effectiveness of his treatment and rehabilitation. Some individuals may experience partial or full recovery of their memory, while others may have permanent memory loss.

4. How long does it typically take for memory to return after a head injury?

The recovery time for memory loss after a head injury can vary greatly. It may take a few days to a few weeks for some individuals, while others may take months or even longer. It is important for the individual to follow their doctor's recommendations and attend any necessary therapy to aid in their recovery.

5. Can anything be done to prevent memory loss in athletes who experience head injuries?

While it is difficult to completely prevent memory loss in athletes who experience head injuries, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include wearing proper protective gear, following the rules and guidelines of the sport, and seeking immediate medical attention if a head injury occurs.

Back