Accuracy of Resonance Lab Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a resonance lab using a closed air column and 3 different tuning forks. The data collected includes frequency, column length, number of wavelengths, wavelength, speed of sound, and air temperature. The wavelength and speed of sound were calculated using formulas, and the average air temperature was determined by adding all temperatures and dividing by 6. The % error was also calculated, and the question was posed as to which error value gives a better indication of the experiment's accuracy. The conversation ends with questions about determining column lengths that give standing waves for a specific frequency.
kamalholly

Homework Statement

Hi! We did a resonance lab using a closed air cloumn and 3 different tuning forks, each with different column lengths and i collected the data as follows:
frequency(hz) column length(m) # of wavelengths wavelength(m) speed of sound air temp
384 0.231 1/4 0.924 355 39
384 0.66 3/4 0.880 338 10
512 0.157 1/4 0.628 322 -17
512 0.476 3/4 0.635 325 -12
1024 0.082 1/4 0.328 336 6.8
1024 0.24 3/4 0.320 328 -6.8

I calculated the wavelength by using the formula : column length/# of wavelengths and then i calculated the speed of sound in each circumstances above by using formula : v=frequency*lambda(wavelength) and finally I calculated the temperature for each of circumstances by sing the formula: v= 332+0.59T(T= temperature).For example, for the first row, I calculated v = 355 m/s. Then I put that valuein the equation v= 332+0.59T and got value of T.
Then my teacher asked my to find the average air temperature and I added all the temperatures and divided them by 6 and I got my answer 3.3 degree celsius(Its inaccurate because of some errors happening).
4.a) Then i determined the difference between actual air temperature and experimental temperature. I got (25-3.3) = 21.7 * Notice that the rrom temp when we did lab was 25 C
b) Next, I had to determine the % error
% error = |3.3-25|/25 *100 = 87%.
5.) Which of the tow error values calculated in qestion4 gives better indication of the accuracy of the experiment? explain your reasoning.(Hint: Consider what would happen in each calcluation if the temperature was 0 C).
6.) For the frequency used in the first row of your table, determine...
a) the 3rd cloumn length that gives a standing wave.
b) the 100 th column length that gives a standing wave

Some one please help me with questions 5 and 6. Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kamalholly said:

Homework Statement

4.a) Then i determined the difference between actual air temperature and experimental temperature. I got (25-3.3) = 21.7 * Notice that the rrom temp when we did lab was 25 C
b) Next, I had to determine the % error
% error = |3.3-25|/25 *100 = 87%.
5.) Which of the tow error values calculated in qestion4 gives better indication of the accuracy of the experiment? explain your reasoning.(Hint: Consider what would happen in each calcluation if the temperature was 0 C).
6.) For the frequency used in the first row of your table, determine...
a) the 3rd cloumn length that gives a standing wave.
b) the 100 th column length that gives a standing wave

Some one please help me with questions 5 and 6. Thank you!

For part 5, I think the hint about T=0 is valuable. Try running each of those calculations in part 4 with that value. You'll see that one of them becomes impossible.

About part 6: Did you determine that the second resonance was to 3/4 wavelengths, or was that given to you?

Related to Accuracy of Resonance Lab Experiment

1. What is resonance and why is it important in a lab assignment?

Resonance is the phenomenon that occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. In a lab assignment, resonance is important because it allows us to study the properties of materials and their natural frequencies, which can have practical applications such as in designing structures or musical instruments.

2. How is a resonance lab assignment conducted?

A resonance lab assignment typically involves setting up an experiment with a material or object and applying an external force, such as a sound wave or physical vibration, to determine its natural frequency. This can be done through various methods such as using a tuning fork, a speaker, or a pendulum.

3. What are the safety precautions to consider when conducting a resonance lab assignment?

Some safety precautions to consider when conducting a resonance lab assignment include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper handling procedures for any equipment or materials, and ensuring that the experiment is conducted in a well-ventilated area.

4. What are some common applications of resonance in everyday life?

Resonance can be observed in many everyday objects and phenomena, such as musical instruments, bridges, buildings, and even our own vocal cords. It is also used in technologies such as ultrasound, MRI machines, and radio communication.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a resonance lab assignment?

Some potential sources of error in a resonance lab assignment include external vibrations or noise that may interfere with the experiment, human error in measurement or data collection, and limitations of the equipment being used.