Accurate measurement of pH - best methods

In summary, the individual is looking for alternative methods to determine pH in a low electrolyte environment where pH probes typically do not perform well. They have used bromocresol colorometric titration in the past but are interested in more modern methods for comparison. They suggest talking to pH probe manufacturers for obscure products, such as optical probes, that may work for their application. Some considerations to keep in mind include whether to leave the probe in the water continuously, calibration frequency, and methods for cleaning debris.
fsonnichsen
I am "proofing" various pH probes in an in-situ fresh water environment--this is a low electrolyte environment where such probes typically do not perform very well. I want to routinely sample the water and obtain accurate pH data for comparison. Can someone enlighten me on the what modern (non electrochemical) methods might be used for pH determination to around 0.01 accuracy? I have used bromocresol colorometric titration but my methods are probably quite dated. I expect there are now some standard accepted tests for comparison of pH results.

Thanks!
Fritz

Chemistry news on Phys.org
fsonnichsen said:
used bromocresol colorometric titration but my methods are probably quite dated.
Your methods are also what you are used to employing.
fsonnichsen said:
pH determination to around 0.01 accuracy?
That's some pretty "tall walking" there; 0.01 is how much in terms of free energy?

Likes Fervent Freyja
I would talk with some pH probe manufacturers. They know a lot and have obscure products for unusual uses.
There are some new technologies out there, like probes that can optically determine pH, that may work for your application.

These are some issues to decide:
Do you want to leave the probe in the water continuously?
How often will you calibrate it?
Will it get fouled with debris from the water? --> cleaning methods
How rugged do you want it?

Related to Accurate measurement of pH - best methods

1. What is pH and why is it important to accurately measure it?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important to accurately measure pH because it can indicate the presence of certain substances, the effectiveness of chemical reactions, and the overall health of a system.

2. What are the best methods for measuring pH accurately?

The best methods for measuring pH accurately typically involve using a pH meter or pH strips. These instruments are specifically designed to measure the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution, which is used to calculate the pH.

3. How do pH meters work?

pH meters work by measuring the electrical potential difference between a reference electrode and a glass electrode immersed in the solution. The difference in potential is then converted into a pH value using a mathematical equation.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of pH measurements?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of pH measurements. These include temperature, concentration of ions in the solution, and the type of electrode being used. It is important to calibrate pH meters regularly and to follow proper measurement techniques to minimize these factors.

5. Can pH measurements be affected by human error?

Yes, pH measurements can be affected by human error. This can include improper calibration of instruments, not following correct measurement procedures, or not properly cleaning and storing electrodes. It is important to follow proper protocols and to double check measurements to minimize human error.