Acellertaion and Velocity Help

• Thread starter physics_geek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: This results in:x = (a*t*8)+(a*t*2)This means the sprinter ahead was ahead by 8 meters at the 6 second mark.
physics_geek
Acellertaion and Velocity Help!

Setting a world record in a 100 m race, Maggie and Judy cross the finish line in a dead heat, both taking 10.0 s. Accelerating uniformly, Maggie took 2.00 s and Judy 2.80 s to attain maximum speed, which they maintained for the rest of the race.
(a) What was the acceleration of each sprinter?

(b) What were their respective maximum speeds?

(c) Which sprinter was ahead at the 6.00 s mark?
Maggie
Judy
neither

(d) By how much was that sprinter ahead?

ok..so I've talked to like 10 million people..and nobody seems to know how to do it..

i have no idea where to start...i have to find the acceleration first...im just not sure if their initial velocities would be 0 or what?

Physics news on Phys.org

physics_geek said:
Setting a world record in a 100 m race, Maggie and Judy cross the finish line in a dead heat, both taking 10.0 s. Accelerating uniformly, Maggie took 2.00 s and Judy 2.80 s to attain maximum speed, which they maintained for the rest of the race.
(a) What was the acceleration of each sprinter?

(b) What were their respective maximum speeds?

(c) Which sprinter was ahead at the 6.00 s mark?
Maggie
Judy
neither

(d) By how much was that sprinter ahead?

ok..so I've talked to like 10 million people..and nobody seems to know how to do it..

i have no idea where to start...i have to find the acceleration first...im just not sure if their initial velocities would be 0 or what?

Well , since the acceleration is uniform , meaning constant, you would apply the kinematic equations for position, velocity and acceleration.

yea that's exactly what i thought!

but that's the thing..i don't know which equation to start with

i thought i would use the position equation
X final = Xinitial + Vinitial(t) + 1/2(a)t^2

and solve for acceleration

but i don't know what the initial velocity is..or how to find it

The way I approached this problem is to first consider one runner's graph of velocity in relation to time.

Since there's a uniform acceleration to a final velocity, the graph will have two phases. The first phase will be the acceleration phase which is a constant slope up to Vf (final velocity). The second phase will be a horizontal slope at V=Vf all the way until t=10.

The area under that graph is the distance covered and thus must be = 100.

For Maggie, you know the area of the rectangle in the second phase is Vf*8 (the number of seconds she spent at Vf). The first phase's area will be the area of a triangle because of the acceleration. That area will be (1/2)*Vf*(2).

Thus, (1/2)*Vf*2 + Vf*8 = 100
This gives you the final velocity. You can find accceleration from there, and so on.

Common sense,, the intial velocity is 0 saying as they haven't started running yet.

A slightly simpler solution:
Take one of the runners, for example the first one, and write the equation for the distance traveled (total):

d=1/2 a1 *t1^2 + vmax*(t-t1)
d=100m
t1=2s
vmax=a1*t1=a1*2s
t-t1=10s-2s=8s

Then you have
100m=0.5*a1*4+(a1*2s)*8s
Solve for a1;

Repeat for the other runner.

o thanks a lot

which sprinter was ahead at 6.00 s?

i think i use the position function...but i don't know what to plug in

Plug in the values for accelerations. Put t=6 seconds. Calculate the distance for each one.

physics_geek said:
o thanks a lot

which sprinter was ahead at 6.00 s?

i think i use the position function...but i don't know what to plug in

You need to first determine the distance each sprinter covered for each of their acceleration phases.

x = 1/2*a*t2

Then you figure the additional distance covered at their top speed with the remaining time budget to 6 seconds.
As before you know their top speed was a*t of the acceleration phase.

Related to Acellertaion and Velocity Help

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change of position over time. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object is speeding up or slowing down, while velocity measures how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

2. How are acceleration and velocity related?

Acceleration and velocity are related through the fundamental kinematic equation, v = u + at, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. This equation shows that acceleration affects an object's velocity over time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration and velocity?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2), while the unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, depending on the context, other units such as miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h) may also be used.

4. How can acceleration and velocity be calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (v-u)/t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time. Velocity can be calculated by multiplying acceleration by time and adding it to the initial velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity can be observed in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. In each of these scenarios, the objects are either accelerating or maintaining a constant velocity. Additionally, acceleration and velocity play a crucial role in more complex phenomena, such as the motion of planets and satellites in space.