Acetylene Safety: Safe Transfer & Storage Tips

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, a chemist needs acetylene in order to calibrate a gas chromatograph. This gas is not easy to transport and is dangerous if not handled properly.
rwooduk
Hi, I need to get some acetylene so I can calibrate our GC, the university has some in another department which I could possibly ask to have. I only need to inject very small quantities into the GC. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this gas?

If I ask the other department for it, I need to suggest how I will transfer it and store it safetly, therefore I would really appreciate some ideas on this. Could I dissolve it in a liquid? But I need a pure sample for our GC so we can determine if there is any in our sample.

Thanks for any help as I am not a chemist.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea about pure. But my first instinct is to make it from calcium carbide.

Likes rwooduk
Borek said:
No idea about pure. But my first instinct is to make it from calcium carbide.

Many thanks for the reply! You mean instead of going to the other department, make it instead? Is it an easy proceedure? I can get any chemicals I need through the University, but as I say I'm really not a chemist. Would it be dangerous?

This is pretty easy and pretty standard procedure - calcium carbide is a solid, just add some water and it will nicely bubble. Standard precautions will be perfectly adequate - the leftover is caustic and the acetylene is flammable (perhaps even explosive is some concentrations), so gloves/glasses and ventilation are required, but there is nothing extraordinary here.

As I said - I have no idea about purity of the acetylene made this way, a lot will depend on whether the carbide is a pure one, or not.

From what I remember acetylene is not easy to transport - if pressurized it can easily react with itself, the reaction can be highly exothermic. Thus it is not transported as a gas, but rather dissolved (under pressure) in acetone. Thus making it in situ can be easier than other approaches.

Likes rwooduk
Ok, that's great, thanks very much for your help.

Why do you need acetylene to calibrate a GC? What does calibrate mean anyway? Are you making a calibration curve for acetylene analysis? What are you running as samples and standards?

Since GC is a separation technique purity is really not an issue, but you would need UPC acetylene. I really don't know of any way to get acetylene into crimped vial, without air. Perhaps you can fill a baloon, put a piece of tape on it, and insert your syringe through the tape to keep the baloon from popping.

We need to know the retension time for acetylene so that when we inject our sample (which will likely contain the substance) we will be able to identify how much is there by its peak, which will be in the same place as a pure sample. This would be identification and calibration using the pure would tell us the amount. Sample is water containing short chained hyrocarbons and some other products.

Yes I think the bubble idea will work, there's a youtube video here:

Thanks for the comments

ok we finally have our GC ready to start calibrating, I asked above about the purity of the acetylene via this method (balloon over water calcium carbide mix), does anyone else have any idea of the purity?

^^ would pure calcium carbide give pure acetylene?

also just one more thing on safety, would I be safe taking it into a syringe (as suggested above) and running around with it in a syringe to the location of the GC?

Related to Acetylene Safety: Safe Transfer & Storage Tips

1. What is acetylene and why is it important to handle it safely?

Acetylene is a colorless and highly flammable gas that is commonly used in welding and cutting processes. It is important to handle acetylene safely because it can be explosive when mixed with air and can cause serious injuries or even fatalities if mishandled.

2. What are the potential hazards associated with acetylene?

Acetylene is highly flammable and can form explosive mixtures with air. It is also unstable and can decompose spontaneously at high temperatures or under pressure, leading to violent reactions. Additionally, acetylene cylinders can pose a danger if not stored or handled properly.

3. How should acetylene be stored and transported?

Acetylene should be stored and transported in specially designed cylinders that are filled with a porous material, such as calcium silicate, to help stabilize the gas. The cylinders should be stored in a cool, well-ventilated area away from sources of heat or ignition. During transport, the cylinders should be secured to prevent tipping or damage.

4. What precautions should be taken when transferring acetylene?

When transferring acetylene, it is important to use appropriate equipment and follow proper procedures. The equipment should be checked for leaks and the transfer should be done in a well-ventilated area away from sources of heat or ignition. The transfer should also be done slowly and carefully to avoid any spills or sudden pressure changes.

5. What should be done in case of an acetylene leak or emergency?

In case of an acetylene leak or emergency, the area should be evacuated immediately and emergency services should be contacted. The leak should be stopped if it is safe to do so, and the affected area should be ventilated. If there is a fire, a Class B fire extinguisher should be used, and the acetylene cylinder should be cooled with water if it is safe to do so.