Acid/base balancing question (given products)

• Thread starter lorka150
  • Start date
In summary, you are given products and you need to write the balanced equation and the net ionic equation for each of them.
lorka150
I have a question and I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps someone can guide me.

For these products:
RbBr(aq)
NaCH3CO2(aq)
Fe(ClO4)3 (aq)

I need to write the balanced equation and the net ionic euqation for each of them. nd indicate their states (aq, s, l)... (s) is the precipitation one.

Please?!

Physics news on Phys.org
well, you are given products sooo...

you know a reaction consists of reactants and products right?

reactants ----> products

for example:
2Rb(s) + Br(2) (aq) ---- 2RbBr (aq)

(i hope you know what a diatomic molecule is? H, O, F, Br, I, Cl ... these elements cannot be free as a single atom)

but from that written equation we can breakdown the ionic equation...

2Rb+(s) + 2Br-(aq) ------ 2Rb+(aq) + 2Br-(aq) (RbBr breaks down because it is soluble...search
Solubility on wikipedia.org if you're not familiar with the rules)

Thus the net ionic equation (where spectator ions cancel out):

2Rb+(s) ----- 2Rb+(aq) (2Br cancel because they're spectator ions) (Rb don't cancel b/c they're in different states)

^^^Here's your answer for part 1...You only need to see it once for these kinds of problems, but if you need more help PM or post here

Last edited:
Example: How can Lao(SOo), be produced? Ans. From the reaction of La(OH), (base) with HrSOo
(acid)
Molecularz 2La(OH), (s) + 3 HrSO4 (aq) -+ Lq(SOa), (aq) + 6 HrO (l)
Net ionic: La(OH), (s) + 3 H. (aq) -+ Lf* (aq) + 3 H2O (l) (Note lowest whole #'s in equation)

I was given that example... So I actually have to use the acid and base in the reaction. That is why I am confused.

^^^hey by the way, i just remembered an argument a few days ago about somethin on the question i helpled u with. I'm not sure the 2Br cancels out...you might want to check for that!

lorka150 said:
Example: How can Lao(SOo), be produced? Ans. From the reaction of La(OH), (base) with HrSOo
(acid)
Molecularz 2La(OH), (s) + 3 HrSO4 (aq) -+ Lq(SOa), (aq) + 6 HrO (l)
Net ionic: La(OH), (s) + 3 H. (aq) -+ Lf* (aq) + 3 H2O (l) (Note lowest whole #'s in equation)

I was given that example... So I actually have to use the acid and base in the reaction. That is why I am confused.

hmmmm that's weird...it might have been a mistake by the teacher/prof. I can see that H2SO4 breaks down (because it is a strong acid) and the LaOH is insoluble because of the solubility rule. Other than that i cannot understand the balancing part of this question--for some reason! i hope someone comes in here to save you

Related to Acid/base balancing question (given products)

What is acid/base balancing?

Acid/base balancing is the process of determining the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution, and adjusting the ratio of these ions to achieve a neutral pH.

Why is acid/base balancing important?

Acid/base balancing is important because maintaining the correct pH in a solution is essential for many chemical reactions and biological processes to occur. Imbalances in pH can lead to negative effects on living organisms and can also impact the effectiveness of certain medications.

How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the negative logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration. The formula for pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter (mol/L).

What are the products of an acid/base reaction?

The products of an acid/base reaction depend on the specific reactants involved. Generally, an acid/base reaction will produce a salt and water. For example, when hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) react, the products are sodium chloride (NaCl) and water (H2O).

How can you balance an acid/base equation?

To balance an acid/base equation, you must ensure that the number of each type of atom is equal on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each molecule) until the equation is balanced. It may also be necessary to add additional reactants or products to achieve balance.

Back