Acoustic reflections from an elliptical wall in Urbino city (Italy)

In summary, in Urbino, a walled city in Italy, the guards used an elliptical wall to monitor the valley for potential invaders. This wall also had a unique acoustic reflection effect, allowing for easy communication between guards. This effect can be simulated using a tool like amray. However, using an isotropic source is not an accurate assumption for human voices. In order for the communication to work best, speakers should stand at a focal point of the ellipse and step away from the wall before speaking and listening.
loreberto911
I was in Urbino a walled city in the Marche region of Italy. At the foot of Duke's palace we found an elliptical wall.

It has been mentioned that the guards were once placed at the ends of the wall. In fact the city is located on top of a mountain, the guards had to watch over the whole valley from potential invaders. In order to talk to each other, they used a nice acoustic reflection effect. Speaking directly to the wall it is possible to converse with extreme ease. Even in a low voice. My friend and I have tried it and it works very well.

I wondered how the reflection mechanism worked. I used this simple tool to simulate the effect.
https://amcoustics.com/tools/amray
In the photo we see that when the sound source is placed at the edge of the curve, the waves are concentrated at the other end.

I wanted to ask if the simple simulation is conceptually correct. And what other factors are involved in this phenomenon.
Thank you
riflessione 2.png

wall.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
You should get best communications when each speaker is at a focal point of the ellipse.
So they should step a bit away from the wall before speaking and listening.

loreberto911 said:
I wanted to ask if the simple simulation is conceptually correct.
Using an isotropic source is not a good assumption for a human voice.

Related to Acoustic reflections from an elliptical wall in Urbino city (Italy)

1. What is the significance of studying acoustic reflections from an elliptical wall in Urbino city?

The study of acoustic reflections from an elliptical wall in Urbino city can provide insight into the sound propagation and reverberation in urban environments. It can also help in understanding the acoustic characteristics of historical buildings and their impact on the surrounding noise levels.

2. How is the data for this study collected?

The data for this study is collected using specialized acoustic measurement equipment such as microphones and sound level meters. The measurements are taken at various locations around the elliptical wall and analyzed to determine the acoustic reflections and reverberation times.

3. What factors can affect the acoustic reflections from an elliptical wall?

The shape and material of the wall, the surrounding environment, and the incident sound source can all affect the acoustic reflections from an elliptical wall. Additionally, the presence of other buildings or structures in the vicinity can also impact the sound propagation and reflections.

4. What are the potential applications of this research?

The findings of this research can have practical applications in urban planning and noise control. It can also aid in the design and construction of buildings with improved acoustic performance, as well as inform the development of noise mitigation strategies in urban areas.

5. Are there any limitations to this study?

Like any scientific study, there may be limitations to this research. Factors such as weather conditions, time of day, and the specific location of the measurements can all impact the results. Additionally, the study may be limited to a specific time period and may not account for changes in the surrounding environment over time.