Action invariance under galilean boost

In summary, the problem is that the Lagrangian is not invariant under the Galilean boost transformation, you will need to add a total divergence.
Petraa
Hello,

I've been spending a lot of time trying to solve this problem but I can't figure out a good solution.

I have to show that the action of a non-relativistic particle ( Schrodinger density Lagrangian ) is invariant under Galilean boost with the form

ψ(x0,x)→ψ'(x0,x)=eimvx-(im/2)x0v2ψ(x0,x-vx0)

x0= t

I've tried to find the transformed Lagrangian by replacing the wave functions and the derivatives but I'm not sure I did it correctly because I get monstrous expressions

I'm using this density Lagrangian L= ihψ*[itex]\partial[/itex]0ψ+h2/2m([itex]\partial[/itex]iψ*)([itex]\partial[/itex]iψ)

If someone can give me a good tip I'll appreciate it
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, hints only, because this is an assignment.

Important fact: Lagrangians are not unique. You can freely add a total divergence to a Lagrangian without changing the equations of motion. And in this example the Lagrangian will not be invariant under the transformation, you will need to add a total divergence.

Let φ(x,t) be the phase factor in front you've added. You'll get three types of terms:

φ*φ x (derivatives on ψ) + ψ*ψ x (derivatives on φ) + (derivatives on both φ and ψ)

The first two types are easily handled. :smile: For terms of the third type you'll need to split off a total divergence, e.g. by throwing derivatives of ψ over onto derivatives of φ.

Bill_K said:
Ok, hints only, because this is an assignment.

Important fact: Lagrangians are not unique. You can freely add a total divergence to a Lagrangian without changing the equations of motion. And in this example the Lagrangian will not be invariant under the transformation, you will need to add a total divergence.

Let φ(x,t) be the phase factor in front you've added. You'll get three types of terms:

φ*φ x (derivatives on ψ) + ψ*ψ x (derivatives on φ) + (derivatives on both φ and ψ)

The first two types are easily handled. :smile: For terms of the third type you'll need to split off a total divergence, e.g. by throwing derivatives of ψ over onto derivatives of φ.

I've tried some, the "best" total divergence I've found is ∂i(ψ*φ*∂iψφ)

Fits all the terms on the equation but ( obviously ) φ*∂0φ and also leaves me a term ∂iψ∂iψ* that doesn't appear on the L'

I'm close to the solution ?

FAQ: Action invariance under galilean boost

1. What is action invariance under Galilean boost?

Action invariance under Galilean boost is a principle in classical mechanics that states that the action of a system remains unchanged under a Galilean boost, which is a transformation that describes the motion of an observer in a different reference frame. In simpler terms, it means that the fundamental laws of mechanics do not change regardless of the observer's perspective.

2. Why is action invariance under Galilean boost important?

This principle is important because it allows us to describe the behavior of a system in different reference frames without having to change the fundamental equations of motion. It also helps us to understand the concept of relativity and the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

3. How does action invariance under Galilean boost relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Action invariance under Galilean boost is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. In fact, the principle of action invariance is a consequence of Newton's laws. This is because Newton's laws state that the laws of motion are the same in all inertial reference frames, which is consistent with the idea of action invariance under Galilean boost.

4. Does action invariance under Galilean boost apply to all systems?

Yes, action invariance under Galilean boost applies to all systems that can be described by classical mechanics. This includes systems with particles, rigid bodies, and fluids. It is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of all classical systems.

5. How is action invariance under Galilean boost different from action invariance under Lorentz boost?

Action invariance under Galilean boost is a principle in classical mechanics, while action invariance under Lorentz boost is a principle in special relativity. The main difference between the two is that Galilean boost assumes a constant speed of light and does not take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are considered in Lorentz boost. Therefore, action invariance under Lorentz boost is a more general principle that applies to all physical systems, including those that involve high speeds or strong gravitational fields.