Action of a vector on the pull-back of a function

Hence, the two expressions in question are equal.In summary, when considering a vector ##\bf{v}## at a point ##x## of a manifold ##M##, as a differential operator, it acts on the pull-back of a function ##f## as ##{\bf{v}}(F^{*}f) = (F_{*}{\bf{v}})(f) = df(F_{*}{\bf{v}})##. This can be related to the expression ##{\bf{v}}(F^{*}f)={\bf{v}}[f\{y(x)\}]=v^{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}[f\{y
spaghetti3451
Consider how a vector ##\bf{v}##at ##x## of ##M##, as a differential operator, acts on the pull-back of a function:

##{\bf{v}}(F^{*}f) = (F_{*}{\bf{v}})(f) = df(F_{*}{\bf{v}})##

I was wondering how to relate this to the following?

##\displaystyle{{\bf{v}}(F^{*}f)={\bf{v}}[f\{y(x)\}]=v^{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}[f\{y(x)\}]=v^{i}\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)\bigg(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{j}}\bigg)}##

I ask this question because ##\displaystyle{F_{*}{\bf{v}}=\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)v^{i}}##, with the implicit Einstein summation convention,

so that ##\displaystyle{(F_{*}{\bf{v}})(f)=v^{i}\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)f \neq v^{i}\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)\bigg(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{j}}\bigg)}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first step of your final line is not how a vector acts on a function. In general, if ##V## is a vector in the manifold ##F## maps to, then ##V(f) = V^i\partial_i f = df(V)## by definition.

Related to Action of a vector on the pull-back of a function

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow and can be used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and acceleration.

2. What is the pull-back of a function?

The pull-back of a function is a way to map points from one space to another using a given function. It involves taking a point from the range of the function and finding the pre-image (original point) in the domain of the function that maps to it.

3. How does a vector act on the pull-back of a function?

A vector acts on the pull-back of a function by transforming the original points in the domain of the function to new points in the range. This transformation is based on the direction and magnitude of the vector.

4. What is the significance of the action of a vector on the pull-back of a function?

The action of a vector on the pull-back of a function is significant in physics and engineering applications. It allows us to understand how vectors affect the behavior of a given system and can be used to make predictions and solve problems.

5. How is the action of a vector on the pull-back of a function calculated?

The action of a vector on the pull-back of a function is calculated using linear algebra and vector calculus. This involves finding the components of the vector, applying the function to the original points, and then transforming the new points using the vector components.