Activation energy of bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of activation energy for a bromate/bromide reaction, which involves the use of KBr, KBrO3, phenol, and methyl red indicator. The reaction involves the production of bromine, which reacts with phenol until it is consumed, causing the methyl orange indicator to decolorize. The gel-like substance produced at the end of the reaction is possibly 2,4,6TribromoPhenol. The concentrations used in a 3-minute reaction are also provided. The conversation also mentions the search for an experiment guide and the question of finding the activation enthalpy. It is noted that false origins in a 1/T vs. natural log of rate graph are
sspanzer
1. given/known data
My work is about calculating activation energy of bromate/bromide reaction.
Besides KBr and KBrO3, phenol and methy red is also used. The Bromine produced react rapidly with phenol, once all the phenol is consumed, the bromine will decolorize the methyl orange indicator. In that way the time for a reaction to reach a certain point can be determined

Homework Equations

BrO3- (aq) + 5 Br- (aq) + 6 H+ (aq) → 3 Br2 (aq) + 3 H2O (l)

My question is, what is the gel-like substances i found at the end of the reaction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a guess

I would guess that it is 2,4,6TribromoPhenol : http://chemicalland21.com/specialtychem/perchem/2,4,6-TRIBROMOPHENOL.htm
But then I have a question for you : do you have an experiment guide for the experiment - I found the one from Bangor University, but there is no info about conentrations and so - I would be glad if you could send me a mail if you have it.
best wishes
finn

concentrations for a 3 min reaction are as follows:
0.01M phenol (0.94g in 1dm3) 70cm3
0.1M KBr (11.9g to 1 dm3) 35cm3
0.02M KBr03 (3.34g in 1 dm3) 35cm3
0.5M H2SO4 35cm3

hope this helps

did you manage to find the activation enthalpy? And when plotting a 1/T against natrual log of rate graph false origins are ok because I only need the gradient?

I would first like to commend you on your work in calculating the activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction. It is an important reaction to study in acidic solutions as it has implications in various industrial and environmental processes.

To address your question about the gel-like substances found at the end of the reaction, it is likely a precipitate formed from the reaction between bromine and a phenol compound. This precipitate is often a complex mixture of polybrominated compounds and can vary in appearance depending on the specific phenol used. It is important to note that this precipitate should be handled with caution as it may contain toxic compounds.

In addition, the presence of a gel-like substance at the end of the reaction may also indicate incomplete reaction or side reactions occurring. It would be beneficial to further analyze the gel-like substance to determine its composition and origin.

Overall, the formation of a gel-like substance at the end of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solutions is a common occurrence and further investigation is needed to fully understand its properties and implications in the reaction.

Related to Activation energy of bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution

What is the activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution?

The activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution refers to the minimum amount of energy required for the reaction to occur. It is a measure of the energy barrier that must be overcome for the reactants to form products.

How is the activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution determined?

The activation energy is typically determined through experiments in which the reaction rate is measured at different temperatures. By plotting the natural logarithm of the reaction rate against the reciprocal of the temperature, the activation energy can be calculated using the Arrhenius equation.

What factors can affect the activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution?

The activation energy of a reaction can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, catalysts, and the presence of inhibitors. These factors can alter the rate at which the reaction occurs and therefore impact the required activation energy.

Why is the activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution important?

The activation energy is an important concept in chemistry as it determines the rate at which a reaction will occur. It also provides insight into the stability and reactivity of a particular reaction. By studying the activation energy, scientists can gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms of chemical reactions.

Can the activation energy of the bromate/bromide reaction in acidic solution be lowered?

Yes, the activation energy of a reaction can be lowered by using a catalyst. A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a reaction by providing an alternative pathway with a lower activation energy. This allows the reaction to occur more quickly and efficiently, making it an important tool in many industrial and biological processes.