AD9959 PCB Footprint Import for ExpressPCB Layout - Tips and Resources

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb
In summary, the speaker is working on a PCB layout in ExpressPCB and is looking for a suitable footprint for the AD9959 chip. They went to Analog Devices' page but could not find any formats that could be imported into ExpressPCB. They were originally planning to make the pads based on measurements from the datasheet but were unsure about the dimensions and decided to import a pre-designed one for safety. They asked if anyone knew of any CP-56 footprints or ones that could be imported into ExpressPCB, but later managed to make the footprint themselves and shared it for others to use.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm working on a PCB layout in ExpressPCB and I am trying to make a footprint for the AD9959 chip.

I went to this page here on Analog Devices' page to get a suitible pcb footprint but they don't have any formats that I can import into ExpressPCB: http://www.analog.com/en/SymbolsAndFootprints/0,3152,AD9959,00.html

Originally, I was just going to take the measurements from the datasheet to make the pads but I'm not sure how big the heat pad should be or of some of the exact dimensions for the positioning of the pads. I figured it would be safest to just import one that was already designed to minimize the possability of any issues later.

Do any of you know of any CP-56 footprints that I can look to for reference dimensions or one that can be imported into ExpressPCB?

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, nevermind. I managed to make the footprint from the measurements in the datasheet. Here is a copy of it in case anyone else out there may want to use it.

- Jason O

Attachments

• SMT LFCSP - 0.050 pitch - 56 pin (top surface).zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 184

Hi Jason,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience with creating a footprint for the AD9959 chip in ExpressPCB. I understand that it can be challenging to create a precise footprint without the proper resources and dimensions.

I did some research and found a few tips and resources that may be helpful to you. First, I would recommend checking out the ExpressPCB website for any available tutorials or guides on creating custom footprints. They may also have a library of existing footprints that you can use for reference or import.

Additionally, I found a forum thread on the ExpressPCB website where users have shared their experiences and tips for creating footprints for specific chips, including the AD9959. You may find some helpful information and resources there: https://www.expresspcb.com/expresspcb-forum/topic/creating-a-footprint-for-the-ad9959-chip/.

Another option is to reach out to Analog Devices directly and inquire about any available ExpressPCB footprints for the AD9959 chip. They may also be able to provide you with the precise dimensions and specifications for the heat pad.

I hope these suggestions help and you are able to successfully create your footprint for the AD9959 chip in ExpressPCB. Good luck!

Related to AD9959 PCB Footprint Import for ExpressPCB Layout - Tips and Resources

What is a PCB footprint?

A PCB (Printed Circuit Board) footprint is a representation of the physical layout and dimensions of a component on a circuit board. It includes the location of the component's pins, pads, and other features for proper placement and soldering.

Why is importing PCB footprint important?

Importing PCB footprints is important because it allows for accurate representation of components on a circuit board, ensuring proper placement and alignment. It also saves time and effort, as manually creating footprints can be a tedious and error-prone process.

Where can I find PCB footprints to import?

PCB footprints can be found online on various websites, such as manufacturer websites or online component libraries. They can also be created using PCB design software or shared among colleagues and peers.

What are the common file formats for importing PCB footprints?

The most common file formats for importing PCB footprints are Gerber (.gbr or .pho), DXF (.dxf), and CAD (.cad) files. Some software may also support importing footprints in other formats such as STEP or IGES.

How do I ensure the accuracy of imported PCB footprints?

To ensure the accuracy of imported PCB footprints, it is important to cross-check the dimensions and pin locations with the component datasheet. It is also helpful to verify the footprint with a 3D model or by printing it on paper and comparing it to the physical component.