Adding restrictive conditions to a limit calculation

In summary, we can approach this limit by rewriting the integral with the given assumption, and determining if it converges using the Cauchy's convergence test. Further evaluation can be done using the Method of Residues.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have the following limit to calculate under the assumption that ##\Re(x+y)>1##:
Code:
Limit[Integrate[
  1/((1 + t^2)^n*(1 + I*t)^x (1 - I*t)^y), {t, -Infinity, Infinity}],
n -> Infinity]
I want to add the above assumption for integral, how to do it? does it even converge?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this limit under the given assumption. First, we can rewrite the integral as follows:

Limit[Integrate[1/((1 + t^2)^n*(1 + I*t)^x*(1 - I*t)^y), {t, -Infinity, Infinity}], n -> Infinity] = Limit[Integrate[1/((1 + t^2)^n*(1 + I*t)^x*(1 - I*t)^y), {t, -Infinity, Infinity}, Assumptions -> Re[x + y] > 1], n -> Infinity]

This will add the assumption that ##\Re(x+y)>1## to the integral. Now, to determine if the integral converges, we can use the Cauchy's convergence test. This test states that if the absolute value of the integrand decreases as t increases, the integral will converge. In this case, the integrand is 1/((1 + t^2)^n*(1 + I*t)^x*(1 - I*t)^y), and we can see that the denominator will increase as t increases, while the numerator is a constant. Therefore, the integral will converge if ##\Re(x+y)>1##.

To determine the exact value of the limit, we can use the Method of Residues. This method involves finding the residues of the integrand at its singularities (in this case, at t = ±i). The residues can then be used to evaluate the integral. However, this method can be quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

In conclusion, the given limit will converge if ##\Re(x+y)>1##, and the exact value can be determined using the Method of Residues. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Adding restrictive conditions to a limit calculation

1. What are restrictive conditions in a limit calculation?

Restrictive conditions in a limit calculation refer to additional requirements or limitations that are imposed on the variables involved in the calculation. These conditions may include limiting the values of the variables or specifying the type of function being evaluated.

2. Why are restrictive conditions added to a limit calculation?

Restrictive conditions are added to a limit calculation to make sure that the result is accurate and relevant to the specific situation. By imposing limitations on the variables, the calculation can be tailored to a specific scenario and provide a more precise answer.

3. How do restrictive conditions affect the outcome of a limit calculation?

Restrictive conditions can significantly impact the outcome of a limit calculation. By limiting the values of the variables, the final result may be a specific number or may not exist at all. Additionally, the type of function being evaluated can also change the final answer.

4. What are some common examples of restrictive conditions in limit calculations?

Examples of restrictive conditions in limit calculations include limiting the values of the variables to a specific range, considering only continuous functions, or restricting the direction of the limit (such as approaching from the left or right). Other examples may include imposing conditions on the behavior of the function at certain points.

5. How can one add restrictive conditions to a limit calculation?

Restrictive conditions can be added to a limit calculation by explicitly stating them in the problem or by using mathematical notation to indicate the limitations. It is essential to carefully consider the restrictive conditions and make sure they are accurately reflected in the calculation to obtain a correct answer.