Adding waves to get resultant wave

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resultant wave when two waves with differing phases are added together. The equations used in the solution are sinA + sinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2) and the attempt at a solution involves setting A and B as ((kx)+(θ/2)) and ((kx)-(θ/2)), respectively. The final answer is 2sin(kx)cos(θ), which is correct and can be verified by substitution.
Rococo

Homework Statement

I need to show that the waves: sin((kx)+(θ/2)) and sin((kx)-(θ/2)), differing in phase by θ, add to give a resultant wave 2sin(kx)cos(θ).
But the answer I get is different so I'm not sure how to do this.

Homework Equations

sinA + sinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding the waves together and so:

A = ((kx)+(θ/2))
B = ((kx)-(θ/2))

(A+B) = ((kx) + (θ/2)) + ((kx)-(θ/2))
(A+B) = (kx) + (θ/2) + (kx) - (θ/2)
(A+B) = (kx) + (kx)
(A+B) = 2(kx)

(A-B) = ((kx)+(θ/2)) - ((kx)-(θ/2))
(A-B) = (kx) + (θ/2) - (kx) + (θ/2)
(A-B) = (θ/2) + (θ/2)
(A-B) = θ

sinA + sinB = 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)
sin((kx)+(θ/2)) + sin((kx)-(θ/2)) = 2sin((2kx)/2)cos((θ)/2)
sin((kx)+(θ/2)) + sin((kx)-(θ/2)) = 2sin(kx)cos(θ/2)

So I must have have gone wrong somewhere because my final answer is 2sin(kx)cos(θ/2), but it should be 2sin(kx)cos(θ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.

ehild

Hello Rococo,
Your solutions is correct.Try θ=90 degrees .R.H.S. is zero right? But the L.H.S ain't. You can check your solutions by substitution.
regards
Yukoel

FAQ: Adding waves to get resultant wave

1. How do you add waves to get the resultant wave?

To add waves and get the resultant wave, you need to first understand the concept of superposition. This means that when two or more waves meet, their amplitudes are added together to create a new wave. This new wave is the resultant wave.

2. What is the formula for adding waves to get the resultant wave?

The formula for adding waves is A1sin(ωt+φ1) + A2sin(ωt+φ2) = A3sin(ωt+φ3), where A1 and A2 are the amplitudes of the two waves, ω is the angular frequency, and φ1 and φ2 are the phases of the waves. A3 and φ3 are the amplitude and phase of the resultant wave.

3. Can waves cancel each other out when added together?

Yes, waves can cancel each other out when added together. This is known as destructive interference, where the amplitudes of the two waves are equal and opposite, resulting in a net amplitude of zero.

4. What happens when waves with different frequencies are added together?

When waves with different frequencies are added together, the resultant wave will have a frequency that is the average of the two frequencies. This is known as the principle of superposition.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect the resultant wave?

The angle of incidence does not directly affect the resultant wave when adding waves. However, it can affect the phases of the individual waves, which in turn can affect the phase and amplitude of the resultant wave.