Addition of exponents proof in group theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation a^m a^n = a^(m+n), with the question of whether induction is necessary or if the associative law alone is enough. It is concluded that induction is needed, as the notation is an abbreviation and the associative law is essential in allowing this notation. It is also noted that a double induction could be used, but it may be simpler to just state the definition of a^n for natural numbers m and n.
Mr Davis 97
Just out of curiosity, what would a proof of ##a^m a^n = a^{m+n}## amount to? Of course obviously if you have n of one thing and m of another you get m+n, but I am wondering if this is rigorous enough, or if you need induction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Formally you need a prove by induction, because this notation is an abbreviation, or a conclusion from the special to the general (forgotten the formal name). But the essential part is the use of the associative law, which is needed to allow this abbreviation in the first place.

It looks to me that [tex]a^m=a\times a\times a ... [/tex] (m terms) by definition. So [tex]a^m \times a^n =a^{m+n}[/tex] from the definition. I don't think associative law is needed.

mathman said:
It looks to me that [tex]a^m=a\times a\times a ... [/tex] (m terms) by definition. So [tex]a^m \times a^n =a^{m+n}[/tex] from the definition. I don't think associative law is needed.
##a \cdot a \cdot a## isn't defined without associativity. And what if ##a \cdot b \neq b \cdot a## with ##b=a^2\,##? Of course this doesn't happen in a group, because of associativity. But it cannot be ruled out for an algebra.

fresh_42 said:
Formally you need a prove by induction, because this notation is an abbreviation, or a conclusion from the special to the general (forgotten the formal name). But the essential part is the use of the associative law, which is needed to allow this abbreviation in the first place.
Okay. Well given that I understand that the associative law will have to be used, how do I in general go about doing an induction when there are two variables m and n instead of just n?

You could do a double induction, a nested argument. But as this entire formula comes down, to what ##a^n## actually means, I think it will do to say: Let ##n,m## be arbitrary natural (integer) numbers, then ##a^n## means ... To set up an entire induction is really a bit of over munitioned.

Related to Addition of exponents proof in group theory

1. How does the addition of exponents work in group theory?

In group theory, the addition of exponents is known as the product of powers property. This property states that when two powers with the same base are multiplied, the exponents can be added together to get the new exponent. For example, in the expression a^m * a^n, the result would be a^(m+n).

2. Why is the addition of exponents important in group theory?

The addition of exponents is important in group theory because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and perform calculations more efficiently. This property also helps us to understand the behavior of powers and how they relate to each other in a group.

3. Can the addition of exponents be applied to any base in group theory?

Yes, the addition of exponents can be applied to any base in group theory as long as the base is the same for both powers being multiplied. This property holds true for all real numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, and even negative numbers.

4. Is there a limit to the number of exponents that can be added in group theory?

No, there is no limit to the number of exponents that can be added in group theory. As long as the base is the same for all powers being multiplied, the exponents can be added together regardless of how many there are. This property holds true for any number of exponents, including infinite sums.

5. Can the addition of exponents be used to solve equations in group theory?

Yes, the addition of exponents can be used to solve equations in group theory. This property allows us to simplify expressions and manipulate equations to solve for unknown variables. It is an important tool in solving problems and proving theorems in group theory.