Addition of orbital angular momentum and spin

In summary, the problem asks you to write down all possible total angular momentum states as a linear combination of product states for an electron with spin 1/2 and orbital angular momentum l=1. By using the lowering operator, you can find four of the six states, and the remaining two can be found by requiring them to be orthogonal to the other states. Alternatively, you can use pre-calculated clebsch-gordon coefficients to find all the states.
gu1t4r5

Homework Statement

Consider an electron with spin [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and orbital angular momentum l=1. Write down all possible total angular momentum states as a combination of the product states [itex] | l=1 , m_l > | s = \frac{1}{2} , m_s > [/itex]

Homework Equations

Lowering operator : [itex] J_- |j, m> = \sqrt{(j + m)(j - m + 1)} |j, m-1> [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since total angular momentum [itex] | l-s | <= j <= (l+s) [/itex]
and its z-component [itex] -j <= m_j <= +j [/itex]
I know that the possible [itex] |j, m_j > [/itex] states are:

[itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-3}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{3}{2} > [/itex]

As for finding the product states, I know that:
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{3}{2} > = |1, 1> | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
as this is the maximal spin state. I can then find [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex], [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex] and [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-3}{2} > [/itex] using the lowering operator above. I don't know how I can use this information to find [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex] and [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex] however.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the j=1/2 states are the ones that had [itex] m_l [/itex] = 0. As for the actual problem it seems to me like they want you to write out all of the states you listed in terms of the clebsch-gordon coefficients times the uncoupled basis states.

gu1t4r5 said:

Homework Statement

Consider an electron with spin [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and orbital angular momentum l=1. Write down all possible total angular momentum states as a combination of the product states [itex] | l=1 , m_l > | s = \frac{1}{2} , m_s > [/itex]

Homework Equations

Lowering operator : [itex] J_- |j, m> = \sqrt{(j + m)(j - m + 1)} |j, m-1> [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since total angular momentum [itex] | l-s | <= j <= (l+s) [/itex]
and its z-component [itex] -j <= m_j <= +j [/itex]
I know that the possible [itex] |j, m_j > [/itex] states are:

[itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-3}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{3}{2} > [/itex]

As for finding the product states, I know that:
[itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{3}{2} > = |1, 1> | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
as this is the maximal spin state. I can then find [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex], [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex] and [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-3}{2} > [/itex] using the lowering operator above. I don't know how I can use this information to find [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex] and [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex] however.

Thanks.
You want to find ##\lvert \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \rangle## so that it's orthogonal to ##\lvert \frac{3}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \rangle##.

In the problem statement they do not ask you to calculate the total momentum ##| J, m_j > ##. I think that you just have to write down a linear equation in the states ##|1,m_l> | 1/2, m_s > ## where ##m_l## has three possible values and ##m_s## two.

That's what gu1t4r5 has described doing, and he or she explained how to find four of the six linear combinations. The question gu1t4r5 asked was about how to find the last two.

Oh, yes, I misunderstood the problem.
And it is a good idea to find the remaining two with the requirement that they are orthogonal to the other.
You could also use pre-calculated clebsch-gordon coefficients as scoobmx says.

Related to Addition of orbital angular momentum and spin

1. What is orbital angular momentum and spin?

Orbital angular momentum and spin are two types of angular momentum that describe the rotational motion of a particle. Orbital angular momentum is associated with the motion of a particle around an axis, while spin is a fundamental property of particles related to their intrinsic angular momentum.

2. How are orbital angular momentum and spin added together?

Orbital angular momentum and spin are added together using vector addition. This means that the magnitudes and directions of the two angular momenta are taken into account to determine the resulting total angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of adding orbital angular momentum and spin?

The addition of orbital angular momentum and spin is significant because it allows us to accurately describe the total angular momentum of a system, which is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics. This total angular momentum affects the energy levels, electron configurations, and other properties of atoms and molecules.

4. Can orbital angular momentum and spin be measured separately?

Yes, orbital angular momentum and spin can be measured separately using different experimental techniques. For example, orbital angular momentum can be measured using the Stern-Gerlach experiment, while spin can be measured using the Stern-Gerlach experiment or the Zeeman effect.

5. How does the addition of orbital angular momentum and spin affect the behavior of particles?

The addition of orbital angular momentum and spin can affect the behavior of particles in various ways. For example, the total angular momentum can determine the allowed energy levels and transitions of an atom or molecule. It can also affect the magnetic properties of particles and their interactions with external fields.

Back