Additional & Duplication Formula

• Thread starter Endorser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with simplifying and proving identities in their homework. Specifically, they mention having trouble with the expression sin(a+b)cos(a-b)-cos(a+b)sin(a-b) and identities involving sin and cos, as well as finding the period of certain functions. They also mention their attempts to solve the problem and ask for assistance.
Endorser
Hello,

I am going through some home work set to be completed before school starts and I am having trouble with a few questions.

Simplify sin(a+b)cos(a-b)-cos(a+b)sin(a-b)

Prove Identities
i. (sintheta)^2 = 1/2 -1/2cos2theta
ii. (costheta)^2 = 1/2 + 1/2cos2theta
Using what is learned from above. find period of:
i. y=sint^2
ii. y= 1+(cos2t)^2
iii. y= 1-(4sin3t)^2

Relevant equations

cos(a+b) = cosacosb-sinasinb
cos(a-b) = cosacosb+sinasinb
sin(a+b) = sinacosb+cosasinb
sin(a-b) = sinacosb+cosasinb

sin2a=2sinacosa
cos2a = cos^2A-sin^2A
= 2cos^2A - 1
= 1-2sin^2A

cost^2 + sint^2 = 1

The attempt at a solution

I have tried numeros times to expand and simplify the equations but I never get the correct answer.

Any Help is appreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best thing is to show, as completely as you can, your best attempt to simplify that first expression, along with your thoughts on what steps you took, why you took them, where you think it is going wrong.

FAQ: Additional & Duplication Formula

1. What is the Additional Formula?

The Additional Formula, also known as the Addition Formula, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the sum of two or more numbers.

2. How does the Duplication Formula work?

The Duplication Formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the double, triple, or any multiple of a given number. It involves multiplying the original number by a specific factor or power.

3. When should I use the Additional Formula?

The Additional Formula is commonly used in basic arithmetic to add two or more numbers together. It can also be used in more complex mathematical equations and formulas.

4. Can the Duplication Formula be used for any number?

Yes, the Duplication Formula can be used for any number, as long as the number is a real number and the factor or power used for duplication is also a real number.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the Additional and Duplication Formulas?

Yes, these formulas are used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science to calculate values and solve problems. For example, the Duplication Formula is commonly used in compound interest calculations, while the Additional Formula is used in chemistry to calculate molar mass.

Back