Additional intercept form problems.

• MHB
  • Thread starter jamescv31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary: Now to find the intercepts, set $x=0$ to find the $y$-intercept:5y=2y=2/5And set $y=0$ to find the $x$-intercept:6x=2x=1/3So your equation is:6x+5y=2Does that make sense?
jamescv31
Hello, I'm here for another related intercept form problem of the formula: \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{x}{a} + \frac{y}{b} \:=\:1\)

a) Find the equation of the line passing through (-5,-7) AND with y-intercept 3.

b) Find the equation of the line passing with x-intercept 1/3 and y-intercept 2/5.

I'm not sure how this solution will be, I need this as my reference pattern.

Thank you.

Note: In letter B I couldn't figured since its a fraction and the way of having an LCD might be unsure of the correct equation so really need an informative information.

Also in Letter A, we don't have an example related for that.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For part a) I would begin with the slope-intercept form, using the given intercept of 3:

\(\displaystyle y=mx+3\)

Now, use the given point $(x,y)=(-5,-7)$ and you will then be able to solve for $m$:

\(\displaystyle -7=m(-5)+3\)

For part b) I would use the two-intercept form you cited, and recall the "invert and multiply" rule for division by fractions:

\(\displaystyle \frac{c}{d/e}=c\cdot\frac{e}{d}=\frac{ce}{d}\)

Can you proceed with a) and b) now? Please feel free to post your progress. :D

Here's my progress, in letter a)

is it an M as slope only? not the whole equation? because the answer of my M is 2.

Then on letter B my equation answers as \(\displaystyle 6x+5y-30=0\)?

jamescv31 said:
Here's my progress, in letter a)

is it an M as slope only? not the whole equation? because the answer of my M is 2.

Then on letter B my equation answers as \(\displaystyle 6x+5y-30=0\)?

Yes, $m=2$, and so your line is:

\(\displaystyle y=2x+3\)

For part b) that isn't quite correct. Can you show your work so we can see where you went wrong?

I'm not sure on how the "invert and multiply" works.

\(\displaystyle x/1/3 + y/2/5 = 1

x/5 + y/6 =1 \) I made like a cross multiplication it becomes

\(\displaystyle 6x + 5y = 30\) then made an LCD to obtain the

You use cross multiplication when you have two fractions that are equal to one another. What you want to do here is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{1/3}+\frac{y}{2/5}=1\)

Invert and mutliply:

\(\displaystyle x\frac{3}{1}+y\frac{5}{2}=1\)

Multiply through by 2:

\(\displaystyle 6x+5y=2\)

FAQ: Additional intercept form problems.

1. What is the additional intercept form?

The additional intercept form is a mathematical equation used to represent a line in a coordinate plane. It is written as y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How is the additional intercept form different from the standard form?

The additional intercept form is similar to the standard form, which is written as Ax + By = C. However, the additional intercept form makes it easier to find the y-intercept of a line, while the standard form makes it easier to find the slope-intercept form.

3. How do I convert a standard form equation to the additional intercept form?

To convert a standard form equation to the additional intercept form, you can use the following steps:
1. Rewrite the equation in slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) by solving for y
2. Identify the slope (m) and y-intercept (b)
3. Write the equation in the additional intercept form (y = mx + b).

4. How do I graph an equation in the additional intercept form?

To graph an equation in the additional intercept form, you can follow these steps:
1. Plot the y-intercept (b) on the y-axis
2. Use the slope (m) to find additional points on the line
3. Connect the points to create a line.

5. What are some real-life applications of the additional intercept form?

The additional intercept form is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent linear relationships, such as the distance traveled by an object over time. It can also be used in business to analyze trends and make predictions based on data. Additionally, the additional intercept form is used in navigation to calculate the slope and y-intercept of a line of best fit for a given set of data points.

Back