Adjust full scale in an orifice flowmeter

In summary, the conversation discusses using a plate orifice to measure water feed to a reboiler, with a pipeline size of 1" and an orifice designed for 0-1800 kg/h of water and a maximum pressure drop of 1000 mm water. The question is whether the pressure drop can be doubled to obtain double the water flow, assuming a linear relationship between pressure drop and volumetric flow. It is noted that this may not be the case for other fluids, such as oil-based and gases, and that the flow rate through an orifice is a function of the square root of the delta P. The possibility of introducing some error by keeping the flow coefficient constant is also mentioned.
elisosky
Hi everybody!
I hope somebody can help me...

We are using a plate orifice to measure water feed to a reboiler; the pipeline size is 1" and the orifice was initially designed for 0-1800 kg/h of water, with a maximum pressure drop of 1000 mm water. As water feed doubles may I simply change pressure drop - by doubling the higher value of scale - to obtain water flow?

Thank you ( ang forgive for my bad english...)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Considering that water has virtually no viscosity and the changes in rheology due to pressure and temperature are negligible, I'd say you could assume a linear relationship between pressure drop and volumetric flow.

This is not the case for other fluids: oil-based and gases (water vapor included).

EDIT: I'm not sure what a "reboiler" is: I'm assuming that a single-phase fluid (clean liquid water) is flowing through your orifice meter. If you're dealing with more than one phase (suspended solids, gases), you won't get a reliable measurement using an orifice plate meter.

Last edited:
Ummm...the flow rate through an orifice is a function of the square root of the delta P. You might want to rethink that aspect. You will, most likely, introduce a bot more error by keeping the flow coefficient constant, but it shouldn't be a very large amount.

a3505472b47bfd95e0dbe97620e24001.png

Related to Adjust full scale in an orifice flowmeter

1. What is "adjusting full scale" in an orifice flowmeter?

"Adjusting full scale" in an orifice flowmeter refers to calibrating the device to measure the maximum flow rate it can accurately measure. This is often done by adjusting the size of the orifice plate or the position of the pressure taps.

2. Why is it important to adjust full scale in an orifice flowmeter?

Adjusting full scale in an orifice flowmeter is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the flow measurements. If the full scale is not properly adjusted, the flowmeter may not be able to accurately measure the maximum flow rate, leading to incorrect readings.

3. How is the full scale adjusted in an orifice flowmeter?

The full scale is typically adjusted by changing the size of the orifice plate or the distance between the pressure taps. This can be done manually or with the use of digital controls and sensors.

4. How often should full scale be adjusted in an orifice flowmeter?

The full scale in an orifice flowmeter should be adjusted whenever there are changes in the flow conditions, such as a change in the fluid being measured or a change in the flow rate. It is also recommended to perform regular calibrations to ensure the accuracy of the flowmeter.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of adjusting full scale in an orifice flowmeter?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of adjusting full scale in an orifice flowmeter. These include variations in temperature, pressure, and fluid properties, as well as any mechanical wear and tear on the flowmeter components. It is important to take these factors into account when adjusting full scale to ensure accurate flow measurements.