Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread

• Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date
In summary, Pranav is trying to find a way to get a flyer published at a university. He is looking for a way to get a free gold membership.
pergradus
This is REALLY friggen annoying... but all the time there are advertisements on PF which get displayed in the body of the first post in a thread and cover up half of the text in that thread...

I guess mods and money payers don't see these ads, so maybe no one has brought this up yet, but it's HORRIBLE. There's probably an ad blocking this thread right now. Can something be done about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
pergradus said:
This is REALLY friggen annoying... but all the time there are advertisements on PF which get displayed in the body of the first post in a thread and cover up half of the text in that thread...

I guess mods and money payers don't see these ads, so maybe no one has brought this up yet, but it's HORRIBLE. There's probably an ad blocking this thread right now. Can something be done about this?

This only happens when there is a quote.

I just tried it as a guest, and the ad was off to the right in the first post, and everything in the post was moved down out of the way of the ad (including the starting quote). I didn't see the problem.

(IE7 on Vista PC)

berkeman said:
I just tried it as a guest, and the ad was off to the right in the first post, and everything in the post was moved down out of the way of the ad (including the starting quote). I didn't see the problem.

(IE7 on Vista PC)

If the first post contains a quote as the first block of txt then the quote will be partially blocked.

Greg Bernhardt said:
If the first post contains a quote as the first block of txt then the quote will be partially blocked.

In this test thread that I made and then viewed as a regular user:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=537444

it did not seem to block the initial text block. Does it block it with all browsers?

Here's a request (if its possible):-

Can you just stop the smiley ad? It's really annoying. Hovering the mouse over it produces sound and that's annoying.

Pranav-Arora said:
Thanks for the link. :)
But i wanted to block only a particular ad, not all. :)
Pranav, can you post a flyer at a university? You get a free gold membership.

FAQ: Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread

1. How do Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread affect user experience?

Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread can significantly decrease user experience by interrupting the flow of the conversation and making it difficult for users to read and engage with the content. This can also lead to frustration and a decrease in overall user satisfaction with the website or forum.

2. Do Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread have a negative impact on website traffic?

Yes, Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread can have a negative impact on website traffic as users may be less likely to click on or interact with the ad, and may even choose to leave the website altogether if the ad is too intrusive.

3. Are there any benefits to using Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread?

While Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread may generate revenue for the website or forum, there are few other benefits. In fact, it can often lead to a decrease in user engagement and satisfaction, which can ultimately harm the website's reputation and traffic in the long run.

4. How can websites or forums address the issue of Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread?

Websites and forums can address this issue by implementing ad blockers or finding alternative ways to display ads, such as placing them in less intrusive areas of the page. Another option is to offer a paid membership or subscription model that removes ads for users who are willing to pay for a more seamless browsing experience.

5. Is there any research on the effectiveness of Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread?

While there is limited research specifically on the effectiveness of Ads which block the text of the first post in a thread, there have been studies on the impact of ad placement and user experience. These studies have shown that intrusive ads can lead to a decrease in user engagement and may even negatively impact brand perception. Therefore, it is important for websites and forums to carefully consider the placement and type of ads they use to avoid any negative effects on the user experience.