Advanced Calculus: Proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2)

In summary, the Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a continuous function has a negative y value at one point and a positive y value at another point, then it must cross the x-axis at some point in between. This applies to the function x=cosx for some xε(0,∏/2), as it has a negative y value at x=0 and a positive y value at x=π/2. Therefore, we can conclude that the function must cross the x-axis at some point in between, proving that x=cosx for some xε(0,∏/2).
kimkibun

Homework Statement

Show that x=cosx, for some xε(0,∏/2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Define f(x)=x-cosx, i want to show that for some aε(0,∏/2), limx→af(x)=0. is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
kimkibun said:

Homework Statement

Show that x=cosx, for some xε(0,∏/2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Define f(x)=x-cosx, i want to show that for some aε(0,∏/2), limx→af(x)=0. is this correct?

No, that won't help you.
If the y value at x=0 is negative, and the y value at x = pi/2 is positive (these values can be shown because it's easy to compute them), then what can we conclude from this?

Does this logic extend to every function? Think about y=1/x, at x=-1 we have y=-1, and at x=1 we have y=1, but the function doesn't cross the x-axis at all.

Mentallic said:
No, that won't help you.
If the y value at x=0 is negative, and the y value at x = pi/2 is positive (these values can be shown because it's easy to compute them), then what can we conclude from this?

Does this logic extend to every function? Think about y=1/x, at x=-1 we have y=-1, and at x=1 we have y=1, but the function doesn't cross the x-axis at all.

do you have a better explanation sir?

kimkibun said:
do you have a better explanation sir?

I suppose.

Take the function y=2x. How do we show it crosses the x-axis between x=-1 and x=1?

Well, what is the y value at x=-1? y=2(-1)=-2. So at x=-1, the function is below the x-axis.
What about at x=1? y=2(1)=2, which is above the x-axis. So since the function went from below the x-axis at x=-1 to above the x-axis at x=1, does this mean we can conclude that it must've crossed the x-axis somewhere in between? Yes!

Why? Well again, think about the function y=1/x and try using the same procedure I just showed you. Everything seems to be the same, except that this function doesn't cross the x-axis. What's different?

It is a direct application of a known theorem - I guess it was discussed during lecture or is mentioned in your book.

Mentallic tries to guide you to the intuitive understanding behind this theorem.

Borek said:
It is a direct application of a known theorem - I guess it was discussed during lecture or is mentioned in your book.

Mentallic tries to guide you to the intuitive understanding behind this theorem.

Right, it was silly of me not to mention the theorem involved in solving this problem.

kimkibun, the Intermediate Value Theorem is what you're looking for.

Related to Advanced Calculus: Proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2)

What is Advanced Calculus?

Advanced Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series in multiple dimensions.

What does it mean to prove x=cosx for x in (0,π/2)?

Proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2) means showing that for all values of x between 0 and π/2, the value of x is equal to the cosine of x. This is known as the identity function and is an important concept in advanced calculus.

Why is proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2) important?

Proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2) is important because it demonstrates the relationship between a trigonometric function (cosine) and a real variable (x). This identity has many applications in mathematics and physics, and understanding it is crucial for further study in advanced calculus and related fields.

What methods are used to prove x=cosx for x in (0,π/2)?

There are several methods that can be used to prove x=cosx for x in (0,π/2). Some common techniques include using the Taylor series expansion of cosine, using the definition of a limit, and using the properties of trigonometric functions such as periodicity and symmetry.

Are there any real-world applications of proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2)?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of proving x=cosx for x in (0,π/2). One example is in engineering, where this identity is used in the analysis of oscillating systems and electrical circuits. It is also used in physics to study the motion of objects on a circular path and in astronomy to calculate the positions of celestial bodies.