Advanced EM problem involving summation of 1/Cosh

In summary, Cosh is a mathematical function used in advanced electromagnetic problems to represent the hyperbolic cosine of a complex number. The summation of 1/Cosh is important in solving these problems as it allows for the calculation of complex electric and magnetic fields. It is typically calculated using numerical methods or specialized software. While it can sometimes be simplified, it is usually calculated using numerical methods. The summation of 1/Cosh has real-life applications in a variety of fields, such as telecommunications and the design of electronic circuits and devices.
gysush
We solve Poisson's equation in cartesian coords for a region bounded by planes forming a box. Some of the planes are grounded. The lengths of the box are L1, L2, L3. There is no charge distribution.

Let a=mPi/L2
b=nPi/L3

The solutions goes like: sinh(sqrt(a^2 + b^2)*x)sin(a*y)sin(b*z)

with our coefficients going like: 1/(m*n)*1/sinh(sqrt(a^2 + b^2)*L1) (neglecting factors of Pi and constants)

The solution is valid only for odd n,m from 1 to infinity.

I want to show that the avg value of the potential over all the sides is equal to the potential at the center:

V(L1/2,L2/2,L3/2) = prescribed equation asked to show.

So I evaluate all my terms at the center. I have some cancellation of the sinh terms because sinh(2x)=2*sinh(x)*cosh(x)

I make a change of variables from m,n to 2k-1,2j-1 so that the sum goes from 1 to infinity for all positive integers and thus allowing me to change my two sin terms into (-1)^j+k

So what I am trying to sum is this:

Sum(j:1,00)Sum(k:1,00) (-1)^j+k *1/[(2k-1)(2j-1)]1/cosh(sqrt(a^2 + b^2)*L1)

a=(2j-1)Pi/L2
b=(2k-1)Pi/L3

Kinda stumped as to any analytical route without trying to use software.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving the problem. It seems like you have made some good progress in evaluating the potential at the center of the box. However, in order to show that the average value of the potential over all sides is equal to the potential at the center, you will need to show that the sum you have written converges to a finite value. This can be done by using the alternating series test, which states that if the terms of a series alternate in sign and decrease in magnitude, then the series converges.

In your case, the terms of the series alternate in sign due to the (-1)^j+k factor, and the magnitude decreases as the indices j and k increase. Therefore, you can use the alternating series test to show that the sum converges to a finite value. Once you have shown this, you can then equate the value of the sum to the potential at the center of the box, thus proving that the average value of the potential over all sides is equal to the potential at the center.

I hope this helps in your analytical approach to the problem. Good luck!

FAQ: Advanced EM problem involving summation of 1/Cosh

1. What is the definition of "Cosh" in the context of an advanced EM problem?

Cosh is a mathematical function that represents the hyperbolic cosine of a complex number. It is defined as the sum of the exponential function and its inverse, e^x + e^-x, and is commonly used in advanced electromagnetic problems.

2. Why is the summation of 1/Cosh important in solving advanced EM problems?

The summation of 1/Cosh plays a crucial role in solving advanced EM problems because it allows for the calculation of complex electric and magnetic fields, which are essential in understanding and predicting electromagnetic phenomena such as wave propagation and antenna design.

3. How is the summation of 1/Cosh calculated in an advanced EM problem?

The summation of 1/Cosh is typically calculated using numerical methods or by using specialized software such as MATLAB or Mathematica. It involves breaking down the complex problem into smaller, solvable parts and then summing them together to obtain the final solution.

4. Can the summation of 1/Cosh be simplified in advanced EM problems?

In some cases, the summation of 1/Cosh can be simplified by using certain mathematical properties and approximations. However, in most advanced EM problems, the summation cannot be simplified and must be calculated using numerical methods.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the summation of 1/Cosh in advanced EM problems?

Yes, the summation of 1/Cosh has many real-life applications in advanced EM problems, such as in telecommunications, radar systems, and satellite communications. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and devices.

Back