Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirement for NYU honors students to study abroad and the lack of advanced mathematics course offerings at the university's satellite campuses. The speaker is considering applying to specialized programs in Budapest and Moscow, but also explores the option of attending a foreign university as a visiting student. Potential options mentioned include Oxford and Cambridge in the UK, ETH Zurich in Switzerland, and various universities in France, Germany, and Scandinavia. The speaker is seeking advice on finding study abroad programs with strong advanced mathematics courses.
jgm340
I go to NYU, and to remain in the honors program I am required to study abroad at least one semester (fall, spring, or summer). My university has study abroad "satellite campuses" where it's incredibly easy to study abroad. The problem is that the course offerings at these satellites are lackluster at best.

As much fun as it would be to have a relaxed semester, as a serious math student, I don't think I could rightly sacrifice all that time. So, does anyone know about study abroad programs to learn advanced undergraduate mathematics?

There are two programs I already know about:
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics: http://www.budapestsemesters.com/
Math in Moscow: http://www.mccme.ru/mathinmoscow/index.php

bI am heavily considering applying to both programs, but I'd like to know if there are other options. Ideally, there would be a summer math program abroad with sufficiently advanced courses so that I wouldn't feel like I was wasting money nor missing out on the great courses offered at NYU.

Clearly the Budapest and Moscow are specialized programs for mathematics students. On the other hand, what about applying to a foreign university as a visiting student? Which foreign universities would 1) accept a visiting student, 2) have very strong course offerings in math?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most obvious foreign universities that come to mind are Oxford and Cambridge in the UK, but I'm not sure if they would accept a visiting student. Are there any other universities that you would recommend looking into? I've heard good things about ETH Zurich in Switzerland as well as various universities in France (Sorbonne), Germany (Humboldt University of Berlin), and Scandinavia (University of Copenhagen). Any advice or tips on how to go about looking for study abroad programs to learn advanced undergraduate mathematics would be greatly appreciated.

FAQ: Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad

1. What is Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad?

Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad is a program that allows undergraduate students to study advanced mathematics courses in a foreign country. This program typically takes place during the summer or a semester and is designed for students majoring in mathematics or related fields.

2. What are the benefits of participating in Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad?

Participating in this program can provide students with a unique learning experience by exposing them to different teaching styles and mathematical perspectives. It also allows students to immerse themselves in a new culture and gain a global perspective on mathematics.

3. What types of math courses are typically offered in Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad programs?

The courses offered in these programs vary depending on the location and university, but they often include topics such as advanced calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and number theory. Some programs also offer courses in applied mathematics and statistics.

4. Can I receive credit for my courses taken abroad?

Yes, most universities and programs will offer academic credit for courses taken abroad. However, it is important to check with your home university and the program you are interested in to ensure that the credits will transfer.

5. Are there any language requirements for participating in Advanced Undergraduate Math Abroad?

This varies depending on the program and location. Some programs may require a certain level of proficiency in the language spoken in the host country, while others may offer courses taught in English. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine any language requirements.