Advanced Vecor calculus - Cross Product

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x-component of the gradient of the cross product of arbitrary vector fields A and B. The formula for this is given as (∇ . B)A - (∇.A)B + (B.∇)A - (A.∇)B. The conversation also clarifies that "^" represents the cross product and discusses the process of calculating the x-component.
EmmaLemming

Homework Statement

For arbitrary vector fields A and B show that;

∇ ^ (A^B) = (∇ . B)A - (∇.A)B + (B.∇)A - (A.∇)B

Homework Equations

where (A.∇)B = ((A.∇)Bx, (A.∇)By, (A.∇)Bz)

and (A.∇)f = Ax δf/δx + Ay δf/δy + Az δf/δz = (Ax, Ay, Az)( δf/δx, δf/δy, δf/δz)f

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my lecturer and he said something about finding the x-component and wrote

δ/dy(AyBz - AzBy) - δ/δz(AxBy - AyBx)

on my work but I don't really see how this applies...

Any help would be really appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
how about wirting it out component by component? Long, but is a useful exercise

Also I am assuming "^" means cross product?

I thought that but I don't know how to write it out like that..

Is my lecturer correct in his definiton of the x-component? and if so do you know how he got it to be that?

and yes ^ means cross product I didn't want any confusion with multiplication.

EmmaLemming said:
Is my lecturer correct in his definiton of the x-component? and if so do you know how he got it to be that?
QUOTE]

try calculating it, start with AxB, then take the curl of the result, the first component is the x component

Last edited:

FAQ: Advanced Vecor calculus - Cross Product

1. What is the cross product in advanced vector calculus?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "×" and is used to calculate the area of a parallelogram formed by the two input vectors.

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product is calculated using the following formula:
a × b = (ay * bz - az * by,
az * bx - ax * bz,
ax * by - ay * bx)

where a and b are the two input vectors and the resulting vector is perpendicular to both a and b.

3. What are the properties of the cross product?

The cross product has several important properties, including:
1. The magnitude of the resulting vector is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two input vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.
2. The cross product is anticommutative, meaning that changing the order of the input vectors results in a vector with the same magnitude but opposite direction.
3. The cross product is distributive, meaning that it follows the distributive law of multiplication.
4. The cross product is orthogonal to both of the input vectors, meaning that it is perpendicular to both a and b.

4. How is the cross product used in advanced vector calculus?

The cross product is used in advanced vector calculus to solve problems involving vector fields, such as calculating the curl of a vector field or finding the flux of a vector field through a surface. It is also used in applications such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of the cross product?

The cross product has many real-world applications, including:
1. Calculating torque in physics and engineering.
2. Finding the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.
3. Determining the direction of angular momentum in rotational motion.
4. Solving problems in fluid mechanics, such as calculating the force on a moving object in a fluid.
5. Finding the direction of the force on a charged particle in an electric or magnetic field.