Advancing Physics: Is It a Good Idea?

In summary, if you have the time and are willing to put out the effort, by all means start learning ahead.
Alem2000
Can I get an opinion on whether it is a good idea to go ahead in my physics courses? My idea was to cover material that I will be studing next simester...considering I have taken the prerequist math class.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no time like the present. Press onward and succeed.

If you have the time and are willing to put out the effort, by all means start learning ahead. That way, if you run into any problems, you'll be ready to ask your professor as soon as that subject finally comes up in class.

As TALewis stated, "Press onward and succeed."

Unless you have a real toughie coming up, I would skip it and enjoy life.

Why can't studying = enjoying life? It's a matter of mindset.

You either don't know how to enjoy life, or I don't know how to study physics.

Thanks COD and TALEWIS...I think your right. I do have time and it would be really exciting to learn more physics...so ill go ahead and start.

JohnDubYa said:
You either don't know how to enjoy life, or I don't know how to study physics.
Some people like to to study while others don't. As for me, I try and budget my time so I'm studying all week and partying after work on weekends since I work at a bar in Atlanta.

One of the best things I ever did was spend a month learning calculus several months before I started the course. When the course started, I was always on top of things, unlike my compatriots. As a result, I had considerably more free time than they did, at a point when free time was an expensive thing.

I would echo TALewis and Cod in saying "go for it". But don't sweat it if you run into stuff that leaves you reeling. Just move on to the next subject and let that wait till the course starts. At that time you will have had the chance to "grok" the easier stuff, which will make it easier to figure out the harder stuff when the course comes to it.

I am reading a biography of Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman. He taught himself ahead of time, at least in the subjects of math and science. In fact, he started teaching himself calculus at 13, using a library book.

Wow, that's inspirational! Could you post a link to where you read that. :eek:

FAQ: Advancing Physics: Is It a Good Idea?

1. Is advancing physics a good idea for the scientific community?

Yes, advancing physics is a crucial aspect of the scientific community. It allows for the exploration and understanding of the natural world, leading to advancements in technology and medicine.

2. How does advancing physics benefit society?

Advancing physics has numerous benefits for society, including improving our understanding of the universe, developing new technologies, and addressing global challenges such as climate change and energy sustainability.

3. What are some current areas of research in advancing physics?

Some current areas of research in advancing physics include quantum mechanics, astrophysics, nanotechnology, and biophysics.

4. What challenges may arise in advancing physics?

Challenges in advancing physics may include limited funding and resources, ethical considerations, and the complexity of certain scientific concepts.

5. How can individuals contribute to advancing physics?

Individuals can contribute to advancing physics by pursuing careers in the field, supporting scientific research through funding or advocacy, and staying informed about new developments and discoveries.