Advantages and disadvantages of mortar and pestle materials

• Thread starter CosmicVoyager
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the conversation discusses the different materials that mortar and pestles are made of and their respective properties. Stainless steel is eliminated due to its potential to spark and ignite flammable chemicals. Glass and ceramic are suggested as the best choices, as they are not affected by corrosives and acids. The use of an M&P for grinding very hard materials is also questioned, with the mention of a potential diamond M&P as a unique option.
CosmicVoyager
Greetings,

I am trying to decide what kind of mortar an pestle to buy. I see they come made of ceramic, glass, granite, marble, and stainless steel.

I have eliminated stainless steel because I read metal mortal and pestle can spark and ignite flammable chemicals.

Which of the others is the hardest? That is, which can grind the hardest materials and not be ground by the materials.

Which is least affected by corrosives, acids and bases?

Which is easiest to clean? Does not stain? Is least porous?

Any other properties to consider?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think you will find a 'best' M&P from the list of materials in the OP. I would go with glass or ceramic, since they are the least affected/non reactive materials on your list. I think granite/marble pieces would be more decorative than functional and subject to attack by corrosives.

If you are trying to grind materials which are really hard, the M&P probably wouldn't be the way to go anyway, unless you used some exotic materials, like diamond. A diamond M&P, that would be a conversation piece.

Related to Advantages and disadvantages of mortar and pestle materials

1. What are the advantages of using a mortar and pestle?

The main advantage of using a mortar and pestle is that it allows for better control and precision when grinding and mixing ingredients. It also creates a finer and more consistent texture compared to using a food processor or blender. Additionally, it does not generate heat, which can alter the flavor and aroma of certain ingredients.

2. Are there any disadvantages to using a mortar and pestle?

One disadvantage of using a mortar and pestle is that it requires more physical effort and time compared to using modern kitchen tools. It may also not be suitable for grinding large quantities of ingredients. Additionally, some ingredients may not be suitable for grinding in a mortar and pestle, such as hard seeds or tough fibrous materials.

3. What materials are commonly used for mortar and pestles?

The most common materials used for mortar and pestles are stone, ceramic, and wood. Stone mortars and pestles, such as granite or marble, are durable and have a rough surface that helps with grinding. Ceramic ones are also sturdy and have a smooth surface, making them suitable for grinding spices and herbs. Wooden ones are lighter in weight and are often used for grinding softer ingredients like garlic and ginger.

4. Can the material of the mortar and pestle affect the taste of the food?

Yes, the material of the mortar and pestle can affect the taste of the food. Porous materials, such as stone and ceramic, can absorb flavors and aromas from previous ingredients, which can transfer to the next ones being ground. This can alter the taste of the food. It is recommended to have separate mortar and pestles for different types of ingredients to avoid any flavor transfer.

5. Is it necessary to season a new mortar and pestle?

It is not necessary to season a new mortar and pestle, but it is recommended. Seasoning involves grinding rice or salt in the mortar and pestle to remove any leftover particles from the manufacturing process and to help create a smooth surface for grinding. It also helps to prevent ingredients from sticking to the surface. Some materials, such as granite, may require more seasoning compared to others.